GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Brake Pads

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone.
Just have a question about replacing brake pads.

I found this
Autel EBS301 Electronic Brake Service Tool , it says it works for replacing pads and all that.

Did anyone ever use such thing???

Is it any good???

or better of getting it done in the dealers???

It costs about 200 euro, where to get all pads done in the dealers its around 400. Thats why im wondering, is it any good to buy and do it yourself???

Thank you

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I have no experience of this particular piece of kit.

Intrigued however why you would want to buy one anyway at this stage .

Are you anticipating having to change your brake pads that often or even so soon ?

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
No ill need the to change around the summer time, but trying to find out now about the equipment thats needed to change them, rather when ill need to change them and wont have time to look around for good equipment tool, thats all.

Artox

Somebody told me that you can use a VAG or Bosch tester to pull the piston back.
But you only need to do that on the rear, on the front theres is no problem is just like any other car.
Im not sure if you can use the VCDS, maybe there is anyone else there can answer that?
Beacuse if you can use the VCDS then i would buy that, its cheeper and you can use it for alot of other things as well

kevinm1

Ready to race!
If that tool is €200, I would just buy vcds for about €300 which is a far more useful tool and can also release the parking brake.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
Artox, so no computer needed to do front brakes? even tho there is an electronic hill hold/start on the front brakes,
and ill look into that VCDS too
Thank for that

Artox

You may not hang me if im wrong, but as far as I know the hill hold is just the ASB that detect the car is moving and and sends a signal to the break to apply.
And by the way, are you sure the hill hold is on the front break and not only the rear?
A colleague told me today that you can use the VCDS to relase the break on a passat '08, in one of the following days I'll try and check how to use the VCDS on the Golf to do the same...

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
about hill start, i may find out for sure,
see when car is stopped on the hill, hill start is holding it, but if you open the seat belt, the hill start turns off and handbrake turns on. and when this happens car moves as if front brakes are released and rear handbrake applied,
but since you said that, i think i may look into it, maybe its all on the back brakes.
are you planning doing pads yourself too???

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
If that tool is €200, I would just buy vcds for about €300 which is a far more useful tool and can also release the parking brake.

Or buy OBDeleven for a fraction of the price as it does that as well;).

Nevakillmonkeys

Hi I am looking to replace my brakes all round on a MK7 Golf 1.6 TDI.

Just had a couple of questions and wondered if anyone had any advice?

1. Since I cant find anything specific on the web relating to this car (its all about GTis) is the process the same as the GTIs?

2. With regards to torque settings are they attainable from somewhere (other than ELSA) or does someone know what they are?

3. I did some BMW ones the other day and the process was:
A) push screwdriver in between diskbrake and caliper to push piston in (after using VCDS/OBD)
B) remove 2 caliper bolts and brake pads
C) remove mounting bracket
D) remove brake disk
E) replace backwards?

4. Is this process different for bigger disk brakes?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Thanks
Dee