GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

replacement for broken dome radar unit

NickL

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT 1.4 TSI
Hi,

I have a 2013 mk7 golf where the Radar unit has broken. It reports internal faults which cannot be cleared.

Can I replace the dome version 5Q0907567G as they are as rare as hens teeth, with a flat version and which part number would be compatible?

Also any advice as to whether copy protection has to be removed on the replacement.

I would be looking for a s/h version to keep the cost down.

Thanks

NickL

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT 1.4 TSI
Well no-one has answered since Feb so I guess no-one knows!! I've sold that car since and gone back to an earlier less electronic version (MK5)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The domed radars don’t have any protection as far as I am aware

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm..... this is the entire Component Protection "constellation" (yes, this is VW's term) for a mk7:

Notice that J428 -Adaptive cruise control module isn't on the list - so definitely NO CP.

EDIT: ABOVE DIAGRAM APPLIES TO 2013 GOLF MK7 SERIES VEHICLES

I assume that OP is aware that changing the front radar will necessitated an initialization procedure after fitment. I've read that some folk say that the calibration procedure can be done as DIY - but because this is a safety matter, my suggestion is to use the OEM tool - see below:

Last edited:

Mike Elliott

Car(s)
2013 2.0 Tdi
I’m just trying to replace my broken domed radar, they’re too hard to find and too expensive now. Hoping car will accept the newer flat radar and all will be good… looking through forums suggests it can be replaced with newer flat model, others say it has to be the domed one. Unable to find definitive answer, if anyone knows for certain if newer model can be fitted let me know part number and I’ll get one ordered.

thanks

NickL

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT 1.4 TSI
Well I don't understand !! DV52 says J428 Adaptive...Module isn't on the list but it is on hte diagram as J428 Adaptive...Unit.

I've had someone put my domed radar on his MK7 instead of his domed radar unit and it definately complains about CP.

I still think no-one knows but it would be great if 'M' would try the flat version (second hand) and sell it on if it doesn't work. would be worth a lot to many people.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Do you have a lane assist camera? The flat radar won’t communicate with an older lane assist camera

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Both the Dome shaped (Long Range Radar) and Flat (Medium Range Radar) have component protection, I've had both installed.

The dome shaped radar does not require SWAP/FEC licenses, and is good to 210 kmh
The flat radar has SWAP/FEC licenses and is good to 160 kmh (or 210 kmh) when connected/setup with new camera

And @xabhax is correct about the camera stuff... assuming you want them to communicate.
Only need to communicate if you want pACC (which requires certain MIB version, flat 3QF H10/H11 radar and new 3Q0 camera)
Or if you want to increase the flat radar speed limit from 160 kmh to 210 kmh.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm.......... OK , my bad (I assume)? My diagram above came from the SSP (Self Study Program) No 517 - see page 43 HERE. The constellation must have changed in later models

Don

PS - I changed my post to ensure that others aren't confused

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
And VW keeps adding things to CP constellation... 2Q0 lane assist cameras, 2Q0 blind spot radars.

Although to be fair, those things don't belong on an Mk7 Golf 😁.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
And VW keeps adding things to CP constellation... 2Q0 lane assist cameras, 2Q0 blind spot radars.

Although to be fair, those things don't belong on an Mk7 Golf 😁.
I don’t remember having to remove component protection on my radars. Is must have been added on mk8 cars, so radars with a revision higher than C