GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement Dipstick Tube?

BillyBobJoe

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hi,

I think I cracked the dipstick tube on my 2018 GTI. When I pulled out the dipstick today, it caught on and jerked the tube, which now has a little bit of motion in it I don't remember. I didn't realize anything was wrong, but after I drove home I found the passenger side suspension, firewall, and the bottom of the engine covered in oil. Oops.

I'll dig around more in the engine bay to confirm, but if that's what's going on, I can't find anything about the particulars of doing this on a Mk7. Is it the same as on the Mk 6? Two specific questions:

1. Can I do this repair from the top of the engine or will I need to access everything through the wheel well?

2. What's the part number for a replacement tube? I can't seem find it for a 2018 GTI on any of the online sites.

Thanks!

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've accidentally yanked it out too hard (insert hilarious comment here) where it disconnected from the oil pan and the side of the engine. All you need to do is reseat the bottom of the tube into the oil pan and then push it back into the seat where it connects on the side of the motor.

BillyBobJoe

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Thanks for the assistance!

Problem solved: I was able to do what swcrow suggested -- re-seat the bottom of the tube in the block and push a little tab/pin/protrusion located near the top of the tube into the side of the head -- and the leak is gone. I think that when I pulled out the dipstick, I also pulled out the tab/pin/protrusion, which then allowed the bottom of the tube to move around enough to pop out; the tube itself looks undamaged.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
That tube shouldn't move I'd check to see if the bolt that holds it in place is connected.
Screenshot 2023-02-07 133754.jpg

BillyBobJoe

Car(s)
2018 GTI
I just happened to open this thread today and saw itguy's message. Funnily enough, I discovered last night while changing the oil that the bolt he mentions (#1 in the illustration) wasn't screwed in all the way. This is what allowed enough wiggle room for the dipstick tube to pull out of the block when the tab/pin/protrusion at the top (top red arrow) popped out. I've no idea why the bolt wasn't fully screwed in, but now that it is, the dipstick tube is solid.