GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement brake system components- questions

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
While replacing my front struts with Koni Sports, I noticed that I am rapidly approaching the point where I have to replace my front (Performance Pack) brakes. I'm trying to optimize the performance of the car while staying within the class rules for SCCA G Street autocross use. I also have to deal with a highly-corrosive environment that eats up cast iron like no other. The car is a daily-driver, so excellent cold street performance is also necessary. Autocross needs both cold and warm brake performance, but not track-level high temp performance.

After much research, for pads, my current top choice is the Hawk HP Plus Sport- Enhanced Compound from Tire Rack. Anyone have experience with this product? How hard is it on the rotors as far as wear is concerned? Other pad recommendations?

For rotors, the choices are more extensive. Note that I can't use slotted or drilled rotors- only OEM-type items.
- Zimmerman rotors from FCP Euro. Has anti-corrosion coating on non-braking surfaces. Lifetime free replacement warranty. Relatively inexpensive- $72.01 ea. Recommended by many forum members.
- ATE rotors from FCP Euro. Has anti-corrosion coating on non-braking surfaces. Lifetime free replacement warranty. More expensive than Zimmerman- $92.97 ea.
- Centrix 125 Series rotors from Tire Rack. Has anti-corrosion coating on non-braking surfaces. More expensive than FCP Euro products. $96.00 ea.
- Centrix 3203314C rotors from Rock Auto. Has anti-corrosion coating on non-braking surfaces and is cyro-treated. Inexpensive- $64.89 ea. Cyro treating CAN reduce rotor wear. Any confirmations or downsides?
- Raybestos 981914 rotors from Rock Auto. Listed as a high-performance STREET rotor with enhanced stopping ability & has anti-corrosion coating. Cheap- $42.79 ea.
- Raybestos 981914FZN rotors from Rock Auto. Has anti-corrosion coating on non-braking surfaces. Cheapest of all- $41.79 ea.
Thoughts, comments, other recommendations?

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Rotors are wear items, inexpensive and soft is what you want, you want bite which creates wear, cryo treating will make them harder and last longer...do you want them to last longer? Buy the cheapest rotors for the race season and great pads then use anti-corrosion rotors for the winter season and regular pads (for winter temps).

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Rotors are wear items, inexpensive and soft is what you want, you want bite which creates wear, cryo treating will make them harder and last longer...do you want them to last longer? Buy the cheapest rotors for the race season and great pads then use anti-corrosion rotors for the winter season and regular pads (for winter temps).

Makes sense- good input. Thanks!

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
The raybestos rotors from rock auto worked well for the 2 hpde’s that they were on the car for last season for what it’s worth. I’m going to use them again this year once tracks open again.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I use the centric rotors you mentioned above (in the non-pp size) and they've been great. The black coating holds up pretty well and keeps the rotors from lookin corroded. Also super cheap from RockAuto like you mentioned.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I use the centric rotors you mentioned above (in the non-pp size) and they've been great. The black coating holds up pretty well and keeps the rotors from lookin corroded. Also super cheap from RockAuto like you mentioned.

Ended up buying a set of the Raybestos street performance rotors & Hawk HP Plus pads for 3-season use. Will change the rotors (& probably pads) to Centric & ??? for winter conditions.
Thanks for the feedback!