GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replaced Windshield. Mirror won’t connect?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
So….Safelite replaces my windshield. All the functions work except High Beam Assist. I take it in yesterday - then the guy says he can’t get the rear view mirror to attach (apparently it was hanging by the wire this whole time). Now they will need to order an OEM windshield.
Is this true? Driving without a mirror is a PITA. Considering connecting the mirror but I don’t want to F up it up. Thanks.

Attachments

• 04D35ED4-5F68-4EAD-8B7B-BE71E4FBC0A7.jpeg
    04D35ED4-5F68-4EAD-8B7B-BE71E4FBC0A7.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 45C1630A-48DF-40C8-9DC3-3E82AFC3656D.jpeg
    45C1630A-48DF-40C8-9DC3-3E82AFC3656D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Must be true if they are going to their expense to do the job again.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I had safelite replace my glass twice, terrible experience. The guy broke the clip and used butyl (sp?) Rubber to hold it on. Apparently it broke the first time but they didn't tell me about it until they replaced it the second time.

First install, the glass was too low, they replaced the side moldings incorrectly, and they forgot the wiper tray rubber and clips; had to have someone drive out the next day to have it sorted by another tech. Second replacement the glass was scratched in several places and lost a clip... again. They offered to replace it AGAIN but after two installs and three visits, I told them I had little confidence in their attention to detail and requested a full refund and paid for OEM glass installed by a local mom & pop shop, done perfectly.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Oh, the second shop also noted that the glass safelite installed wasn't the correct glass for my car to begin with, hence the clip not fitting properly in the first place. Really eye opening.