GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace Key Battery! on dash display.

JimboS

Had my 2014 GTD about a month. only came with 1 key, which I was going to get round to getting a second spare, but have just had `Replace Key Battery!` come up on the dash display!
Anyone know how long I`ve got to replace it??
Thanks.
[New member].

Jon2

Ready to race!
I'd be wondering about the whereabouts of the second key. Was the car bought through a dealer/garage or privately?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I'd be wondering about the whereabouts of the second key. Was the car bought through a dealer/garage or privately?

That was my first thought too.

I’d be arranging to get a second key and having the keys reprogrammed, so if whoever has the missing key knows the whereabouts of the OP’s car, the key in their possession won’t work.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Just had both 3 year old keys with same display. 2 x 2025 batteries required. Easy job.

Gordon F

Passed Driver's Ed
Had one of mine just die yesterday with no dash warning at all. Had to use the other set to use the car as it's keyless. Put new battery in dead set and now working fine. Car is two years old next month.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
A 2032 battery will fit as well. It is only 0.7mm thicker and fits no problem. It should also last longer than a 2025 and the Panasonic 2032 are very cheap for a pack from b&m.

s1monc

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m guessing you replaced it weeks ago!

I had the same message on my wife’s GTI and forgot about it, about a week later I was stranded and my daughter had to drive out to me with the spare fob. It’s crazy the whole car shuts down if the tiny little £0.99p battery goes flat!
I changed batteries in both fobs. The car was only about 18 months old. I’ve got a keyless entry M3 which is coming up 4 years old and never put a battery in it.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@s1monc; it probably wasn’t necessary to get your daughter to bring you your spare key. If your key fob battery dies without warning, you can open the driver’s door by prising off the rear section of the driver’s door handle (being careful not to damage the paintwork!) to reveal a key hole and then use the key blade to unlock the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OejkrSX3ei0

If you’ve got keyless start, the YouTube video at the link above also shows how to start the car when the key fob battery is dead. It’s s USA car in the video, but the opening and starting procedure will be the same for a UK Golf.

Gordon F

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the car serviced this week and VW recommending that the batteries are renewed every 6 months