GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace 034 puck inserts with BFI?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have stage 1 BFI motor mount and trans mount insert, as well as 034 puck inserts (lower/upper). Is it worth replacing tve 034 lower/upper inserts with a BFI insert? Benefits to be had?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Following as I have the same setup as you.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have stage 1 BFI motor mount and trans mount insert, as well as 034 puck inserts (lower/upper). Is it worth replacing tve 034 lower/upper inserts with a BFI insert? Benefits to be had?

I'm also at this point. I installed APR dogbone insert, and after the inevitable "settling" post-install (1K miles or so of driving), I feel that the engine/trans movement has returned to levels that feel, frankly, not too different from stock.

I'm bringing the car into Smith VW tomorrow for ye ole pano leak. While I'm there, going to have them check the torque spec on the bolts to make sure they didn't loosen post-install like my Superpro Endlinks. If the looseness is still there after retorquing, I am going to remove the insert and inpsect the dogbone bushing itself for damage from the steel insert.

If the steel insert has just clobbered the bushing (which is entirely plausible, perhaps likely since the rubber is pretty soft), I will likely replace with either another OEM dogbone bushing and replace the upper eng/trans mounts with BFI Stage 1, and throw in the powerflex Stage 1 insert. It's lower durometer than BFI's Stage 2 dogbone insert, but has the same arms that extend to the upper bushing. BFI's Stage 1 insert does not have arms reaching up to the upper bushing.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
One of my good friends ran a 12.6 on street tires with both inserts and bfi stage 1 mounts. You'll be fine, if anything they'll last much longer due to the reduced pivot action of the drivetrain.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
+1 for Powerflex hybrid lower replacement (not their insert, the full lower)

Remove the 034 upper if you do this, it's not needed. I have messed around with a few different subframe bushing solutions (a lot, both in the steel subframe and in the Audi aluminum subframe) and can confidently say that the inserts are garbage (lower, upper or a combination of the two) compared to full replacements or a hybrid approach (lower replacement/upper reinforcement). Realize though that an increase in NVH will be experienced with any solution that does what it's supposed to do, more so with solutions that really do what they're supposed to do.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
One of my good friends ran a 12.6 on street tires with both inserts and bfi stage 1 mounts. You'll be fine, if anything they'll last much longer due to the reduced pivot action of the drivetrain.

I am not worried about the inserts going out. I'm curious whether running a BFI insert is better than the 034 inserts.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm also at this point. I installed APR dogbone insert, and after the inevitable "settling" post-install (1K miles or so of driving), I feel that the engine/trans movement has returned to levels that feel, frankly, not too different from stock.

I'm bringing the car into Smith VW tomorrow for ye ole pano leak. While I'm there, going to have them check the torque spec on the bolts to make sure they didn't loosen post-install like my Superpro Endlinks. If the looseness is still there after retorquing, I am going to remove the insert and inpsect the dogbone bushing itself for damage from the steel insert.

If the steel insert has just clobbered the bushing (which is entirely plausible, perhaps likely since the rubber is pretty soft), I will likely replace with either another OEM dogbone bushing and replace the upper eng/trans mounts with BFI Stage 1, and throw in the powerflex Stage 1 insert. It's lower durometer than BFI's Stage 2 dogbone insert, but has the same arms that extend to the upper bushing. BFI's Stage 1 insert does not have arms reaching up to the upper bushing.

I get a good deal of vibration on taking off from a standstill, and i get a nice vibe and roar at WOT with the 034 inserts. I wonder if BFI stage 2 insert is as NVH heavy.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You don't need any press to install the Powerflex. The hardest part is cutting out the stock lower mount. Once you do it's smooth sailing.

I have tried the inserts on my golf R, none worked long term. The powerflex hybrid lower is amazing and I wouldnt do any other mod.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
You don't need any press to install the Powerflex. The hardest part is cutting out the stock lower mount. Once you do it's smooth sailing.

I have tried the inserts on my golf R, none worked long term. The powerflex hybrid lower is amazing and I wouldnt do any other mod.

so weird, there’s a dude selling a 430WHP Golf R in the classifieds, he never upgraded the upper eng/trans mounts, and all he did for the dogbone is throw in the Powerflex diesel insert. Says it did everything he needed it to.

i don’t get it

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
I switched to the powerflex diesel insert from the apr steel insert, I like it feels less loose for sure and wasn’t crazy pricy either

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I think BFI only fills the lower unless you go stage 2 according to what I've read:
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...e-mount-assembly-with-oem.360866/post-7259748
Could try a Powerflex Hybrid, though you've already replaced your upper.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-bushing-powerflex-pff85-831

hasnt “replaced” it, he has the 034 upper insert. I saw a guy who actually modified his Powerflex insert/hybrid bushing to also allow room for the 034 insert in co junction with it. I will likely take a route similar to this, as there just aren’t any other options for the upper bushing that are as effective as 034’s upper insert.