GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Repeating fuel pump failure

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
So a short while back (couple months ago) I was having a sharp power cut at between 4k and 5k, ran the datalog and could see a fuel dropoff in that range and rail pressure. In short replaced the LPFP and everything was fine, after a couple days of normal driving, ran the car through the full RPM range under full boost and didn't skip a beat everything was fine. . Now, as of today I'm having the same issue again, car had just under a half tank, and at 4K-ish yet again sharp power cut only when I'm under a little boost (above 8 psi), if I'm light on the gas pedal it will climb up through the RPM with no issue. Also have codes p0087 (fuel rail pressure low) and p1250(fuel level too low) which i just put fuel in last night half tank. . The pump that's in it now I bought directly at the VW dealership and the last pump was the factory pump that came with the car. The car has been EQT stage 2 for over a year with supporting mods, I wouldn't think I'm overworking the LPFP. Anyone have any recommendations? I'll be running a datalog after work.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
I assume you've replaced the fuel filter.

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
20220831_175734.jpg
Update.. This is the 2nd time i've pulled it out and both the supports have been broke. First time was the stock one installed by the manufacturer, this is the second one.

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
The original came out busted? Who installed the second? Are you the original owner?
Yes, the original came out busted. I'm the second owner, bought it at 5000 miles. I installed the second one the same way I took the old one out. Even verified the orientation with one of my buddies car he's the original owner of his.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Very strange. When you install it you should be able to feel the resistance of the springs but it should compress down easily so you can put the retaining ring on. Is there a dent in the fuel tank? I can't imagine it getting a new fuel tank before you bought it and being an AWD tank, nor how a FWD pump would fit in a AWD tank. To break two pumps the same way is impossible. I would get up under the car and start investigating. Compare it to your buddies tank.