GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reoccurring problem with rear tail lights

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have had my 2017 GTI SE since April, and this has happened about four separate times. All three times after or during rain. Upon starting the car, I get the following warning messages:

Check left tail light!
Check right tail light!
Check left brake light/turn signal!
Check third brake light!

The entire left tail light does not work when this happens: tail light, turn signal, brake light. The third brake light also does not work. And tonight when this happened (for the first time) I heard a quite noticeable "electrical" sound. Like something shorting out? It was pretty scary sounding. The left tail light side marker (I think that is what it is called) was dimming and brightening while this was happening.

On top of the light issue, the backup camera does not function properly. The camera itself works, but everything appears black because the VW badge doesn't open up to allow the camera to see.

It seems to me that this is caused by some trapped moisture of some sort or something not being sealed properly, but I suppose it could be wiring related as well. Obviously, I am going to be taking it into the dealer to get looked at, but what will most likely happen? Will they likely replace that left tail light? Or does it sound more like a wiring problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Soldat: Very odd indeed - my initial thought is that the problem is related to the wiring loom (more than likely the connector block on the loom) that runs to the rear hatch

Don

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
Update:

Took it to the dealer, they said that the grounding wire in the hatch was barely tightened and very loose. Haven't had any issues since taking it back, but it hasn't really rained here either. We'll see, I guess.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have had my 2017 GTI SE since April, and this has happened about four separate times. All three times after or during rain. Upon starting the car, I get the following warning messages:

Check left tail light!
Check right tail light!
Check left brake light/turn signal!
Check third brake light!

The entire left tail light does not work when this happens: tail light, turn signal, brake light. The third brake light also does not work. And tonight when this happened (for the first time) I heard a quite noticeable "electrical" sound. Like something shorting out? It was pretty scary sounding. The left tail light side marker (I think that is what it is called) was dimming and brightening while this was happening.

On top of the light issue, the backup camera does not function properly. The camera itself works, but everything appears black because the VW badge doesn't open up to allow the camera to see.

It seems to me that this is caused by some trapped moisture of some sort or something not being sealed properly, but I suppose it could be wiring related as well. Obviously, I am going to be taking it into the dealer to get looked at, but what will most likely happen? Will they likely replace that left tail light? Or does it sound more like a wiring problem?

Edit: Gah! Looks like you responded and I missed it. Thanks. Experiencing this now with the rear right OEM LED tail light …

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Edit: Gah! Looks like you responded and I missed it. Thanks. Experiencing this now with the rear right OEM LED tail light …
That was August 2017 and he hasn't been back in the forum for over 2 years since then.

01LSi

Passed Driver's Ed
That was August 2017 and he hasn't been back in the forum for over 2 years since then.
This is actually the only post I could find on the subject on google. I’ll loop back here on what the dealership tells me :’(

if it’s hatch / harness related that could make sense. My rear camera cuts in and out when reversing occasionally so maybe there’s a correlation there

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is actually the only post I could find on the subject on google. I’ll loop back here on what the dealership tells me :’(

if it’s hatch / harness related that could make sense. My rear camera cuts in and out when reversing occasionally so maybe there’s a correlation there
Could be. You should start a new thread if you don't get any answers.