GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Renrubicer: Skeletons In The Closet

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This makes me curious about doing it for my cars. There would definitely have to be a lot of estimation because I didn't keep records well enough, but I took the complete opposite approach of "riceburnering" and mostly bought new and kept forever. Would be fun to compare

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Do it bro

Right now jay is 100k down in my estimations lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Now this all means, in total, I have DEFINITELY lost a grand total of $46,756, over the course of 250 months (16 years). That means, on average, I have lost a mere $187.00 per month, something like the price of a cheap car payment monthly.
This all simply blew my mind and I am now convinced that riceburnering is the way to go. If nothing else I'm pretty comfortable with what my homewrecker of a hobby costs
Ninja edit:
I suppose I should really start counthing this sort of # since the first car i bought with my own $ and started dumping $ into, and if thats the case its really more of an average of $309/month lost on my money with all things considered.

You kinda touched on this in your ninja edit, but looking at it from the beginning really skews things.

Let's look at riceburnering a different way.

Your 2015 GTI. Let's say you had bought that car, and kept it. You sold it with 24,000 miles in February of 2017. Since then, you've driven a rough estimate of 74,000 miles, which would put that car at 98k miles right now. Which by all accounts, isn't a lot for a GTI.

Looking at your activity from February 2017 to now, you've lost\spent $49,501 on riceburnering cars (including the purchase prices of the two new Audi's). So instead of just keeping your 2015 GTI SE, and instead going down the route of riceburnering, you've spent just over $700 a month riceburnering cars ($49,501 / 70 months).

Are you still prety comfortable with what your homewrecker of a hobby costs?

Edit: I also don't think the Fieri should count. That was just an inheritance that just happened to fall into your lap. The only thing that has in common with your car habit is that it happens to have 4 wheels. It's like counting a work bonus in your total. If you remove the Fieri gain, you're up to almost $790 a month riceburnering cars for the last 70 months.

Ninja edit 2:
That's $180 a week. If you assume an easy to calculate 30% loss to taxes, not riceburnering cars would be the equivalent of about a $15,000 yearly raise.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I appreciate the alternative perspective however:
had i kept that gti, id be out 24k or whatever plus probably 15-20k by now in mods realistically. Likely more knowing me and how i get bored. Would have done something pretty big to it by now. It would be a badass gti for sure lol.

So, i would still be 'out' some 45k, a mere 5k down from now based on how you calculated it. On top of that i would have only the ability to sell the car for maybe 13k now and maybe 10k of mods if lucky. So id be out 20k if i bailed ship now.

Meanwhile if i happened to sell both my current cars id be up ~26k.

So i disagree. Plus the fact of the matter is the last several years would have been pretty boring in this sector of the forum, wouldnt you agree?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
no-regerts-tattoo-1.jpg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Ok, I'm not tabulating this for you on my phone, but rough estimates on my cars prices (including taxes and such), length of ownership, mileage, and sale prices (I spent basically nothing modding any cars until my current vehicle):
1994 Sunbird - bought for $0 (long story), sold for $0 (different long story), 6 years, 80k miles
2007 GTI - bought for $26k, sold for $6k, 6 years, 145k miles
2013 Sportwagen - bought for $26k, sold for $29k (TDI Buyback!), 3 years, 60k miles

$52k spent, $35k recovered over 15 years and 285k miles. $94/month ($157 if you toss out the Sunbird).

So buy new and hold is about 1/2 the cost of riceburnering BUT I only got to play with 3 cars over 15 years.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Let's see

1987 Chrysler Lebaron - Bought: $500 - Sold: Burnt to the ground $0
1991 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible - Bought $1,200 - Sold: $700 or $900 maybe?
1995 Toyota Celica - Bought: $5,200 - Sold: Crashed almost totaled, $250
Pontiac Grand Am, don't remember the year - Bought: $800 - Sold: $400
1999 Monte Carlo - Bought: $3,600 - Sold: Don't remember
2007 Mazda3 - Bought: $10,000 - Sold: Maybe $4k? Don't remember
2013 Nissan Altima - Bought: $13,000 - Sold: $7k
2016 GTI SE - Bought: $18,200 - Sold: $16k (after 3 years and adding 32k miles rolf)
2017 Golf R - Bought $29,000 - Sold: Not yet

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Math is a helluva drug.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Let's see

1987 Chrysler Lebaron - Bought: $500 - Sold: Burnt to the ground $0
1991 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible - Bought $1,200 - Sold: $700 or $900 maybe?
1995 Toyota Celica - Bought: $5,200 - Sold: Crashed almost totaled, $250
Pontiac Grand Am, don't remember the year - Bought: $800 - Sold: $400
1999 Monte Carlo - Bought: $3,600 - Sold: Don't remember
2007 Mazda3 - Bought: $10,000 - Sold: Maybe $4k? Don't remember
2013 Nissan Altima - Bought: $13,000 - Sold: $7k
2016 GTI SE - Bought: $18,200 - Sold: $16k (after 3 years and adding 32k miles rolf)
2017 Golf R - Bought $29,000 - Sold: Not yet
Gotta add in your mods aasted on the gti

Forgot we both had the epic GAGTs and Monte carlo ls's lol. What a shitbox the monte carlo was

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The velour seats in the US Mk1 GTI would run on your clothes if they got wet. True story, bro.

Whoever decided on blue and red velour seats with orange stripes over paid for US mk1's is 100% going to burn in hell.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^hah couldn't agree more, that is not a good looking color combo