GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Renrubicer: Considering Spray Painting Seats, Amongst Other Things...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
that was one of the options i was looking at!

idk. maybe i'll try a few things on some not-car stuff and see if any of it is as good as it seems.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Finally redid the tail light altezza chrome tint. The first try last year i got cheap amazongzong stuff that was purple. This time, went the lamin-x route. Still just a schoche pruple/pinky but its definitely just due to the surrounding red taillight bezels, its pure gray left on its own.

Next up for the rear end...
1) gain functionality of the led rings by wiring and coding. one day...
2) still trying to find a replacement lower bumper 'insert' without the rest of the bumper.
2.5) also need to find a tow hook cover thats missing in the lower right.
3) fixing how badly the lower bumper conforms to the upper bumper.
4) fixing how the license plate is crooked due to lower bumper being aftermarket and some dickhead drilled the holes incorrectly.
5) want to try some better exhaust tips as the autozone ones already look like shit, all discolored and not looking much better than the OEM tips in the first place. gonna have to be a custom route since its actually two tailpipes coming out of the muffler at a curvy-boi angle.
6) want to try some all red (no chrome, no black) gti badges but after shipping these are like 70 bucks on etsy etsy link

Left side done
1000014596.jpg

Closeup done
1000014597.jpg

Closeup before
1000014598.jpg

All done
1000014599.jpg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
2) still trying to find a replacement lower bumper 'insert' without the rest of the bumper.

Fill with bondo, sand, prime, paint. The chances of finding the lower insert are pretty slim.

Taillights look good.

I just realized you're less than 1 month away from 1 year with this car 🎉 🎉

Time to get rid of it?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
lmao! i got at least 3 more years with her unless my wife tricks me into getting an suv

uggh of all things ive done to cars, bondo is not on the list yet. tried to fix a similar crack once on a buddys car and boy oh boy did it not turn out like we were hoping.

perhaps i ought to try it again... patiently of course...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Really sticking to the 4 years, eh?

Just wrap a decal around the crack 🤣

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
meh i just gotta try very well to fix it. gotta remove the bumper to fix its own fitment anyhow.

really i gotta get good at this anyway; some of the front and rear fenders got minor rust, lower door has some paint missing/rust, some paint chips on roofline to take care of, etc. Would try one of those 'stop rust' roll or spray on paints behind the bodywork while i'm at her.

then i gotta learn to pull dents and dings, there are like 5 or 10 small but not-creased dings around the car.

need new bumper supports for the front.

gotta repaint the front lip since the dupicolor 'vw candy white' really didnt match well, and is flaking off anyway

the side skirt adhesive is wearing off so those gotta be reinstalled as well as the door 'bumpers' midway up the doors.

TLDR the car might (MIGHT! LOL) look pretty nice in pictures but its a 15 footer car in reality. I got a lot of things to address on it if i don't want it to turn into a typical MK5 salt belt rust bucket car.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
One of those 'good from afar, but far from good' ones, eh?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
oh yes absolutely. at least the paint thats on it is polushed and glossy

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
did you use a spray for the taillights? I'd love to darken mine a smidge

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
lamin-x tint film. i'm not that great at tinting taillights it turns out. always turns out blotchy, runny, etc. and iirc you gotta gloss over it.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
did you use a spray for the taillights? I'd love to darken mine a smidge
Lamin-x sells precut tail light kits. The Mk7 tails are a bit of a pain b/c of the sharp angles. I tinted mine from a roll 3x and still ended up pulling too tight.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
yes, i recall wrapping my first mk7's taillights and the result was garbage for me. wrapping well is another gift i simply do not possess.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just need more practis

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
While i figure out what to do about my seats. This one for once truned out pretty nicely, tucking well into the crevices. Just a few wrinkles to sort out.
1000014635.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Will look good if you get the wrinkles sorted out.