GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rennwagen quality and fitment issues

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ahh, the ol' "deflect because I don't actually have any relevant information" tactic. You must be a forum OG.

I don't have one of these products, because I'm not usually in the market for ill-fitting bootlegs of products I want. Also, real rich telling someone to "grow up" while also telling them to be a Karen about something. You're so cool and original.
Multiple Points ring hear so I'll try to talk slow.

1. I have one of these products.
20210501_164138.jpg
20210501_164153.jpg

2. While this product does have some orange peel , this was one of the first beta one sent out. Even at that, there is no more orange peel than what my car came with from the factory. The fit and finish is oem+.

3. As for being rich and original. Thanks for your opinion. I am not an "og" of the forum. Only been on here since 2017. Joined when I purchased my 2015 GTI, now I have a 2018 R. Have gained an abundance of information from this forum. I may not agree with everything said, but definitely not a keyboard jockey trying to skew a race that I dont even have a horse in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Multiple Points ring hear so I'll try to talk slow.

1. I have one of these products. View attachment 212802View attachment 212803

2. While this product does have some orange peel , this was one of the first beta one sent out. Even at that, there is no more orange peel than what my car came with from the factory. The fit and finish is oem+.

3. As for being rich and original. Thanks for your opinion. I am not an "og" of the forum. Only been on here since 2017. Joined when I purchased my 2015 GTI, now I have a 2018 R. Have gained an abundance of information from this forum. I may not agree with everything said, but definitely not a keyboard jockey trying to skew a race that I dont even have a horse in.
Your username sounds like a great name for a race horse. 🐴😂

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Werent the pre-order wing extensions cheaper than retail for the purpose of providing feedback to help the seller improve the product? And yeah it totally looks like the Aerofabb extension but how much more different can you make a wing extension look? Also the Aerofabb is plastic whereas this one is metal. Yeah there is quite a bit of orange peel, but its not like this was a color matched piece. My one complaint so far is that my car accumulates quite a bit of pine needles between the wing and extension where the double sided tape is. Not sure if thats a me specific problems since I live in the PNW and my property has 3 pine trees and the GTI parks outside.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I love my v2 wing. One of the things that makes me smile regularly.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Werent the pre-order wing extensions cheaper than retail for the purpose of providing feedback to help the seller improve the product? And yeah it totally looks like the Aerofabb extension but how much more different can you make a wing extension look? Also the Aerofabb is plastic whereas this one is metal. Yeah there is quite a bit of orange peel, but its not like this was a color matched piece. My one complaint so far is that my car accumulates quite a bit of pine needles between the wing and extension where the double sided tape is. Not sure if thats a me specific problems since I live in the PNW and my property has 3 pine trees and the GTI parks outside.

Correct on the pre-orders, they were discounted. Renn also offers two different designs if you don't want a "typical" extension but to your point, it's a spoiler extension, how many different designs can you reasonably come up with?

I've noticed some debris finds it's way in there but it blows right out when I wash my car. It also keeps the back windshield drier in the rain and cleaner overall (though the hatch itself still gets plenty dirty, what can ya do).

The spoiler extension is a good looking, good fitting piece. And any examples of shipping damage that people have posted have been handled swiftly and fairly. I've even read posts by Renn saying he didn't release a batch because he wasn't happy with the PC. There's nothing to fault here.

I don't have firsthand experience with the diffuser but for comparisons sake, I ordered my Strafe 5 weeks ago and just got a shipping notification. And if you've read anything about Strafe you know that doesn't mean it's actually going to ship yet. It mounts the same exact way (the top is open and unsecured) and by most accounts does not match the stock valance color as well. But I guess you get what you pay for.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
He might be able to fix some of the orange peel issues if the powder coater can figure out the issue. I had a custom diffuser that just came in bare aluminum so I took it to my powder coater and it took him at least 2 tries to get it right, it might have been 3 attempts total. I believe the issue happened during the outgassing, so he used a different kind of PC that did something different with the outgassing. I don't really remember the fine details, but it was something like that. Thin aluminum is a bit harder to PC than a wheel.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I too am one of the original Rennwagen extension pre-orders. I really liked the Aerofabb and was going to get it until I saw all the posts about how it scratches up just driving the car at parking lot speeds or breathing on it...I'd much rather live with some orange peel than one that is so high maintenance. Besides, as @Keehs360 pointed out, you can smooth out most of the orange peel with some spray ceramic - uncorrected orange peel that is not even noticeable from more than 3 feet away.

Yes, the Rennwagen is a "rip-off" of the Aerofabb, but there are a few subtle and important differences.
- The RW extension is fuller on the sides than the AF one, which I personally like better.
- The edge of the AF is cut plastic and looks very unfinished up close, which to me is much more noticeable than the little orange peel that is on the RW.
- The RW does not require drilling or removal of the factory wing & fins to install, which is a huge selling point for me.
- Then there is of course the aforementioned durability of the RW aluminum with powder coat over the AF gloss plastic.
- And RW has a v2 design that AF does not have.

For me personally, the RW is an improved version of the AF. At the end of the day, the RW and AF are different enough and nothing wrong with choosing to go with either one - just purely personal preference and what your priorities are. If I had to buy again, I would 100% choose the RW.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Moderator free apparently.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I too am one of the original Rennwagen extension pre-orders. I really liked the Aerofabb and was going to get it until I saw all the posts about how it scratches up just driving the car at parking lot speeds or breathing on it...I'd much rather live with some orange peel than one that is so high maintenance. Besides, as @Keehs360 pointed out, you can smooth out most of the orange peel with some spray ceramic - uncorrected orange peel that is not even noticeable from more than 3 feet away.

Yes, the Rennwagen is a "rip-off" of the Aerofabb, but there are a few subtle and important differences.
- The RW extension is fuller on the sides than the AF one, which I personally like better.
- The edge of the AF is cut plastic and looks very unfinished up close, which to me is much more noticeable than the little orange peel that is on the RW.
- The RW does not require drilling or removal of the factory wing & fins to install, which is a huge selling point for me.
- Then there is of course the aforementioned durability of the RW aluminum with powder coat over the AF gloss plastic.
- And RW has a v2 design that AF does not have.

For me personally, the RW is an improved version of the AF. At the end of the day, the RW and AF are different enough and nothing wrong with choosing to go with either one - just purely personal preference and what your priorities are. If I had to buy again, I would 100% choose the RW.

I've had the Aerofabb rear spoiler for years now and it has zero scratches. Not sure what you are talking about saying that it scratches very easily because it doesn't. It's very durable, looks good, and fits perfect. If you're complaining on how to install it, then maybe you need to work on your modding/install skills because it's easy to install. In my opinion, and yes, it's just my opinion, Aerofabb products materials outperform every other vendor out there.