GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rennwagen quality and fitment issues

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
look i'm not trying to get a hand out, refund or call this guy out. before i bought these products all i heard was love and i have some concerns with the quality. i wished going forward he would try to limit the orange peel on the spoiler and with the difusser they would fit better or come up with a solution to secure it at the top. these are easy fixes and if you guys look at the pictures and choose to buy this product i'm all in support of it. but had someone posted my results before i bought them i think i would of looked elsewhere. i liked the idea of supporting someone on the forums and not to ecs tuning. i just think based on this dudes skill with the cutting of the spoiler he could step up his game with the diffuser. support renn and everything he does but be aware there are issues with his product and he is charging a price equal to or greater than similar products that do not have these issues.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What is the Orange Peel you talk about? I've not heard this term before in the car world. Is it the marks on the spoiler? Did that happen once you peeled off a protectant wrap it came with?
Orange peel is just like it’s name, it’s a texture to the paint,clear,PC that’s resembles an actual orange peel. With you can spay in a way to minimize it but to full remove it you wet sand it, with PC though it’s pretty common to have orange peel (yes that spoiler is very peel heavy and it’s not uniform, but as others have said I saw that right out of the gate in the original thread when he was making them)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Soooo.... You see the product pictures from the seller/builder and they aren’t up to the quality standards that you would like, buy product anyway and get same results as seller/builder and blast on the forum? As for powder coat I’ve rarely seen any that didn’t have a decent amount of orange peel, even from top companies. But what do I know I’ve only been building cars/trucks for the last 20+ years
I put a coat of the hybrid ceramic spray wax from turtle wax on there. It leveled it out quite a bit too

don’t use a paste or anything with polishing agents. A spray wax will work just fine.

and yeah. Powder coating makes for some peel for sure. But the peel is easily masked with a spray wax.

on next detail I’m just gonna put seal and shine wax on the extension. Seal and shine lasts a long ass time 😂

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Powder isn't any more prone to orange peel than paint, I have multiple powder coated things that look better than wet paint, it's all down to prep work. But it is easy to be lazy with pc and get plenty of orange peel, but then the same is true with wet paint, just go look at any painted surface on your VW.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Powder isn't any more prone to orange peel than paint, I have multiple powder coated things that look better than wet paint, it's all down to prep work. But it is easy to be lazy with pc and get plenty of orange peel, but then the same is true with wet paint, just go look at any painted surface on your VW.
Even with prep work you’ll get orange peel. In my experience it takes some wet sanding after the pc sets and cures. At least that’s how we always did it with wheels. After they’re cleaned up and the surfaces come out of the strip bath and cleaned again thoroughly. After pc sets and cures the wet sand has to be done

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Not mine, my pics are all lost to shitty Photobucket, but look like the same Morton Black Chrome that mine were. No wet sanding needed. I can grab some pics of the Spectrum bikes too.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Not mine, my pics are all lost to shitty Photobucket, but look like the same Morton Black Chrome that mine were. No wet sanding needed. I can grab some pics of the Spectrum bikes too.

Not too many people have an immersion tank full of zinc.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
Not too many people have an immersion tank full of zinc.
my point is that if the desired results can be achieved using one method maybe dont try to re-invent the wheel and just paint it. i like the durablity of powder coating but if it looks a mess maybe renn should invest in a hvlp paint gun and leave the pc machine for other projects. my matco tool box is pc and it has the finish of a car with very minimum orange peel and i know for a fact they didnt wet sand this.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
my point is that if the desired results can be achieved using one method maybe dont try to re-invent the wheel and just paint it. i like the durablity of powder coating but if it looks a mess maybe renn should invest in a hvlp paint gun and leave the pc machine for other projects. my matco tool box is pc and it has the finish of a car with very minimum orange peel and i know for a fact they didnt wet sand this.
Maybe because matco uses a zinc bath?

I know of places that have doing it forever without a zinc or phosphate baths. Just takes some wet sanding

if it bothers you that much go wet sand it? Or wax it with a spray wax?

like I get what you’re getting at. But everyone’s spoiler extension thingy looks the same as yours. Only diff is type 1 or 2. And no one gives a fuck. U know?

are our standards too low? Are yours too high?

🤷🏽‍♂️ I like mine. When I opened it up I saw the peel. And I knew I’d have to wax it. But I was gonna wax it anyways so to me this isn’t a big deal. Or a deal breaker.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Th

I want my wheels this color

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe because matco uses a zinc bath?

I know of places that have doing it forever without a zinc or phosphate baths. Just takes some wet sanding

if it bothers you that much go wet sand it? Or wax it with a spray wax?

like I get what you’re getting at. But everyone’s spoiler extension thingy looks the same as yours. Only diff is type 1 or 2. And no one gives a fuck. U know?

are our standards too low? Are yours too high?

🤷🏽‍♂️ I like mine. When I opened it up I saw the peel. And I knew I’d have to wax it. But I was gonna wax it anyways so to me this isn’t a big deal. Or a deal breaker.
the spoiler isnt a big deal, i just cant believe no one has commented on it and i'm just trying to gauge what other people think about the finish. what is a big deal is the diffuser however and renn's lack of concern of how it fits. he acknowledged the fitment wasnt great on his test car and his solution is to bend a bracket on my car. again these are easy fixes to take his product to the next level like paint instead of pc and make the diffuser fit without modifications to the body of the car.