GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing annoying suggested gear indicator semi-success

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I've read through the entire Vagcom thread in the past, I'll admit it's been awhile but a search turned up nothing on this. So thought I'd put the info out there because I've seen numerous inquiries/complaints about it before. I didn't really want to bury this in 16375850 pages of VCDS questions (for fear of people not seeing it) but if you would like it grouped in there I certainly don't mind if one of our higher ranking members copied and pasted it over it or wants me to.

Instead of showing what gear VW wants you in, my display now just shows me the gear I'm in until I change gears!

Step 1: Plug in vagcom cable (obviously)
Step 2: Wait for it to load up and open the 17- Instruments tab
Step 3: Open up long coding and go to Byte 1.
Step 4: Uncheck "Efficiency Program for Board Computer"
Step 5: Save coding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Apparently I do not rock. After going for a longer test drive, the indicator has been delayed, not completely shut off. It will still show when to switch gears but not as early giving you some leeway essentially.

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Yea, sadly it seems there's no way to shut this off on a manual. Everything I've seen from the Audi world shutting this on and off has been done on automatics. There's apparently a setting in the Auto trans category that can control this. My thoughts are if it's on and displaying on my 6mt, there's gotta be a way to deactivate it right?

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!
I just tried this tweet and it didn't work for me. It might delay the "suggested gear change" a little later but it still pops up. I wouldn't mind not seeing 3->5 or 4->6....it's pretty annoying

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
I just tried this tweet and it didn't work for me. It might delay the "suggested gear change" a little later but it still pops up. I wouldn't mind not seeing 3->5 or 4->6....it's pretty annoying

Yea, I've been scouring all day in my VCDS looking for something that semi reflects this change. as documented before, this change seems to have taken it out of "eco mode" shifting and delayed the shift recommendations slightly.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
I look at it as if the car is trying to look out for me and my wallet and the frequency of my visits to the pump.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I look at it as if the car is trying to look out for me and my wallet and the frequency of my visits to the pump.

I don't know I feel like the car constantly wants me to be around 1400 rpm accelerating which is no Bueno. The shift points are way to low in my opinion.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I don't know I feel like the car constantly wants me to be around 1400 rpm accelerating which is no Bueno. The shift points are way to low in my opinion.
+2

As I said before ignoring the silly eco minded upshift indicator and feeling what the engine wants 2krpm feels about where the engine wants to be when accelerating.

Honestly, so long as you shift before 3,000 rpm you're going to be shifting economically. 3k is where the exhaust cam goes on to the more aggressive higher lift cam.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
+2

As I said before ignoring the silly eco minded upshift indicator and feeling what the engine wants 2krpm feels about where the engine wants to be when accelerating.

Honestly, so long as you shift before 3,000 rpm you're going to be shifting economically. 3k is where the exhaust cam goes on to the more aggressive higher lift cam.

I figured - thus why I hear it come alive like some damn VTEC or something lol.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I figured - thus why I hear it come alive like some damn VTEC or something lol.
LOL!
I've actually said that 3krpm is this car's "VTEC" shortly after that the car really wakes up and gets wild. You can really hear it with a aftermarket exhaust :D