GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing alternator

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So with the hot summer heat, I think my alternator is finally failing.

I am getting 13.3-13.4 readings that don't rise with rpm, I just replaced a fairly new agm group 48 battery in less than a year as well.

Weird electric glitches such as the steering wheel going hard until I restart the car. The blower motor reducing speed on its own, codes say that it's due to low voltage.

With that all being said, I want to change it myself but everyone says that I have to remove the ac line, now I think it's doable if I remove the intake manifold instead.

Since I'm due for a carbon cleaning, is that enough clearance to just remove the manifold?

Videos online show that there appears to be enough room.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure if you have seen this. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-2016-gti-alternator-replacement.367315/ I noted that it has you remove the A/C compressor, but you do not remove the lines.

– Remove the A/C compressor from the bracket. Refer to ⇒
Heating and Air Conditioning; Rep. Gr. 87 ; A/C Compressor;
A/C Compressor, Removing and Installing on Bracket .
– Secure the A/C compressor on the lock carrier so that the refrigerant
lines are not under tension.

I recall my voltage from alternator being around 14.4V. Not sure why the low output, but I would want to consider if there ia voltage drop across a junction that could be dropping a volt.

Last edited:

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks, I misread it. Still would rather just pulled the intake manifold instead since I'll be in there.

Digging up some old posts, I'm finding that it could be due to some corroded ground wires. I cleaned up the ones on the trans, but no difference.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How old is the battery?

When you come home for the rest of the day, open the hood. Let the car sit for at least a few hours, then check the voltage across the battery terminals with a voltmeter. I would leave the hood open (it can be ajar, just don't let the hood closed sensor activate) overnight if you have a garage and check it again in the morning. See how much it dropped.

I get low battery readings in a couple of modules too, usually always ABS. I carry a jump box, so I don't care. I'm getting the DSG fluid and filter changed soon, so I'll get a new battery then.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
How old is the battery?

When you come home for the rest of the day, open the hood. Let the car sit for at least a few hours, then check the voltage across the battery terminals with a voltmeter. I would leave the hood open (it can be ajar, just don't let the hood closed sensor activate) overnight if you have a garage and check it again in the morning. See how much it dropped.

I get low battery readings in a couple of modules too, usually always ABS. I carry a jump box, so I don't care. I'm getting the DSG fluid and filter changed soon, so I'll get a new battery then.
I'm getting 12.6-12.8 readings, it fluctuates depending on weather. The battery is 2 months old, I just replaced it and the one before it was only 11 months old.

The one before that was the original battery. Only 70k miles on the car