GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removed front struts in 10 mins.

crashracer

Decided to try something different, I used a bottle jack to separate the struts and it literally took 5 mins each side.

I know someone will tell me this is wrong. But I did springs on two cars in less time than one.

Attachments

• 5F6861A8-7E04-43E5-949E-6F0D47EF77FB.jpeg
    5F6861A8-7E04-43E5-949E-6F0D47EF77FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,637
  • EA6D67EA-D224-42DF-9872-E7B0FFBE4A0D.jpeg
    EA6D67EA-D224-42DF-9872-E7B0FFBE4A0D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:

bicycle019

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice use of toeclips! I keep some in my toolbox for random use as well, definitely come in handy.

Same concept as 2x4 method, less moving parts. I dig it.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I mean 2x4 takes same time, but if this works and someone has a bottle jack around, then looks legit.

The strut is pretty much guaranteed to get pushed out with the bottle jack on the control arm. Not a certainty with the 2x4. I was jacking up my whole car, because the strut would not come out the last little bit.
This method looks like it would be slightly safer, at least in that the bottle jack won't break. Unless it's from Harbor Freight. ;)

Navi

Autocross Champion
Decided to try something different, I used a bottle jack to separate the struts and it literally took 5 mins each side.

I know someone will tell me this is wrong. But I did springs on two cars in less time than one.

me like your style

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The strut is pretty much guaranteed to get pushed out with the bottle jack on the control arm. Not a certainty with the 2x4. I was jacking up my whole car, because the strut would not come out the last little bit.
This method looks like it would be slightly safer, at least in that the bottle jack won't break. Unless it's from Harbor Freight. ;)

I like this. I had the same problem with the 2x4, my whole car was getting raised up and it wouldn't separate. Might be worth it to get a cheap bottle jack.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Legit man, did the same in the past with a Q60 RS:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I like this. I had the same problem with the 2x4, my whole car was getting raised up and it wouldn't separate. Might be worth it to get a cheap bottle jack.
Same here... 2x4 method was sketch to me when I did the lowering springs. Honestly When I did the air ride recently I just did it the full way and unbolted the ball joint and axel and I much preferred that way.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!

that's smart :D
When I lowered my Alltrack, I didn't have any problem with 2x4 but this will come in handy if I ever do it again!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nobody has questioned/answered what you do here after the strut is lifted out of the knuckle though.
I get that it'll lift it out, BUT then once it clears the knuckle....how do you move the bottle jack/strut (since they're strapped to each other in the pic) away from the knuckle without the jack slipping out & the strut/spring tension springing out/down?
Are you "sliding" the jack over on the top of the knuckle?
Seems a little more dangerous this way, IMO.

With the 2x4, you lift it out of the knuckle and then you can roll/move the knuckle slightly forward (since they're separated here) and then lower the jack/2x4 combo for the strut to clear it & then unbolt it from the top.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
This way looks better than the 2x4 method. The 2x4 method also kept jacking the car up instead of the strut alone in my experience as well.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I mean... It works so there's that....But I can tell you that no trained tech is doing it this way. The "right" way is to just remove the axle and lower control arm out of the way and it'll come right out. You're putting hella stress on both your control arm and axle using this method. Takes less than 5 mins to remove the axle and control arm, I don't know why people mess around with 2x4's etc. To each their own though.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Takes less than 5 mins to remove the axle and control arm, I don't know why people mess around with 2x4's etc. To each their own though.
I can tell you why I did shit like this in the past- because it's scary. :ROFLMAO:

"OMG, I can't remove the axle... I might F something up."

But springs and shock seem easy.