GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remaps, Tuning Boxes & leaving the car stock

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I always find this debate on going & everyone has opinion.

Still considering getting rid of my GTD for a R. The reason being I fancy a faster more powerful Golf.

Ok, I could go the remap or tuning box route. But the thought of nearly zero traction in the first 3 gears has no advantages to me.

I hear you all ask. Based on what? Well yesterday, I was chatting to a guy who has a GTD, that currently runs a remapped GTD. 220 bhp & 500nm torque. He is getting it put back to stock this week.

1) His insurance will not cover him.

2) Forget 1st , 2nd or 3rd gear. Giving it beans in all 3 gears results in zero control & that's in the dry.

3) Warranty is nil & void.

The big plus 4th, 5th & 6th. Wow, that's all I can say. The power is relentless :D:D. It will leave a stock GTD in the distance.

Due to his insurance being nil & void. I would not drive the car, but rode passenger.

Then we went out in my stock GTD. OK not in the same league, but so more refined and drivable from a standstill.

If you are having a mapped car as a daily drive, worth considering the above.

Rappy :cool:

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
A friend of mine have bought GTD. When he visited me for a couple of weeks ago I tested his new car. As a diesel car it’s very nice, no doubt about that. Good performance.

He spend a lot of time in his car (long distance driving) and prefer an engine with lean consumption, therefore I think he have done a very good choice.

When it comes to sporty behaviour the GTD can’t compete with the R or GTI, tuned or not tuned. The R delivers up to 6800 rpm, GTD doesn’t. To be honest I prefer petrol engines ;).

You will get a very amusing car if you swap to an R. I would chose the R before a GTD all days in a week! In my case the difference between diesel and petrol costs is not evaluated at all, performance is prioritized. However R is rather lean compared to many other cars with the same output :).

Regarding tuning, insurance warranty that's always a concern when you go for tuning, goes for both GTD and R.

/Peter

Last edited:
1) His insurance will not cover him.

2) Forget 1st , 2nd or 3rd gear. Giving it beans in all 3 gears results in zero control & that's in the dry.

3) Warranty is nil & void.

The big plus 4th, 5th & 6th. Wow, that's all I can say. The power is relentless :D:D. It will leave a stock GTD in the distance.

Due to his insurance being nil & void. I would not drive the car, but rode passenger.

Then we went out in my stock GTD. OK not in the same league, but so more refined and drivable from a standstill.

If you are having a mapped car as a daily drive, worth considering the above.

Rappy :cool:

1) Change insurance companies that will insure a remapped car.

2) That is his driving not the power, he needs to learn how to drive a high torque engine properly also what tyres has he got on?

3) My BMW was mapped to 350BHP and it did not make any difference to the warranty I asked my local dealer before it was mapped. It all depends on the dealer and how well you get on with them.

Bungleaio

Ready to race!
Greenlight are good for modified car insurance, I was with them for a few years and went though fault and none faults with them and they were really good. http://www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk

With regards to the warranty it will only be affected by the modified parts, i.e. the engine is remapped so any problems with the engine and drivetrain they probably won't cover. IF you have an issue with the radio or boot lid for example then they won't have an issue.

If a car has been remapped and then flashed back to standard there will be a trace on the ECU so if there are any issues then they will know it's history.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
Tuning boxes won't leave a flag but remaps do. Although you may still get errors logged even with a tuning box which unless cleared will show up.

Last edited:

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
The faults they can leave behind even after installation can easily be recognised by a service tech.... Also the fitment of a tuning box, location etc...

I don't think anything is 100% fool proof.

If you are worried, don't remap or fit a tuning box.

Rappy:cool:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
This topic has been beaten to hell. Across the way might be different but dealerships make money on doing warranty work, and I'll just say they aren't going to be wasting time trying to find if you're tuned or not

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The faults they can leave behind even after installation can easily be recognised by a service tech.... Also the fitment of a tuning box, location etc...

I don't think anything is 100% fool proof.

If you are worried, don't remap or fit a tuning box.

Rappy:cool:

You can clear any faults, if there are any, with a tuning box. It all still comes down to, if you cannot afford to pay you cannot afford to play, and you should leave your GTI/D stock or buy a car that comes stock with the amount of power you want.