GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reliable mechanic in Bergen County

StephenK

Hey guys

1. Any recommendation for reliable mechanic for VW or german car in general in Bergen County NJ, especially in Fort Lee area?

2. Do you recommend DSG service in dealer or reliable local mechanic?

3. if so, cost difference?

Just bought a '16 GTI that close to 40K miles

Thank you in advance

OG McGibblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
i went to jack daniels and linden. i would say go to a private shop. vw dealer dsg service will be $325-400 plus whatever bs fees they tack on. i believe parts is about $100. figure an hour of labor. $200-250 sounds right.

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
Are you looking for a straight mechanic or mechanic/tuner shop? If the latter, I'd recommend KMD Tuning in Saddle Brook.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Hey. I'm in Fort Lee as well. As Zumble said, TCR is phenomenal. They are a little far though. Another great option is Billy Amberg at A2B Motorsport in Stanhope. Also a bit far though. The reason why these guys are recommended is because they are guys who actively work on and build this platform. You should check out the MK7 Tri-State Owners group on Facebook as well. Lots of good local info on there
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TriStateMk7/

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
If the latter, I'd recommend KMD Tuning in Saddle Brook.

Went there, terrible customer service, very rude mechanics. I told them to take my car off the lift and give me back my car. Also, they only really recommend Unitronic and that's the slowest tune out there.

Caste Systems Performance - Did ok work, not the greatest at welding my resonator and charged a lot for what others considered shoddy welds. To weld in the Vibrant resonator, that I bought from Amazon, to the stock catback cost $180 cash just for the welding.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hey. I'm in Fort Lee as well. As Zumble said, TCR is phenomenal. They are a little far though. Another great option is Billy Amberg at A2B Motorsport in Stanhope. Also a bit far though. The reason why these guys are recommended is because they are guys who actively work on and build this platform. You should check out the MK7 Tri-State Owners group on Facebook as well. Lots of good local info on there
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TriStateMk7/
I've used both a bit. I've been going to Josh and he's an hour further away.... I'll leave it at that.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The main mechanic I went to was M&M Auto Cycle in Montague (was going to him since my MK4 days). Backup was Redline Speedworx in Green Brook

One of my friends used to go to Quattrohaus in Newark, then he got a Kia Sedona minivan

StephenK

i went to jack daniels and linden. i would say go to a private shop. vw dealer dsg service will be $325-400 plus whatever bs fees they tack on. i believe parts is about $100. figure an hour of labor. $200-250 sounds right.

Thanks, I'm planning to order a set of Liqui Moly fluids kit from FCP Euro for $76 and bring it to my local mechanic who's going to charge 1.5 hour labor $125.