GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relative Fuel Economy

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
No one mentions the origin of their numbers. I have found that the mileage gauge in our cars, as well as ever other car, is optimistic by 2-3 mpg.
I do take down the computer derived mileage to compare but all my numbers are actual gallons in and miles driven.

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
What about "Sport" vs. "Normal" setting? I have an SE with a manual, and it appears the previous owner may have changed it via OBD-11 so that "Normal" is the same as "Sport". I notice no difference switching between the two, as far as throttle response and steering response (he must have disabled the Sondaktor). I'm now getting 33.6 MPG, on my previous manual S I was getting 10% better, about 36 MPG. I don't think I can chalk that up to the extra weight of the sunroof and Fender audio... I'm probably giving up ~50 miles per tankful.
If it is indeed the case that there is a way to set the "Normal" setting to "Sport", and it impacts mileage, I may find it financially justifiable to buy an OBD-11 to set it back. I can then, of course, choose to run in Sport any time I want to, or leave it in Normal and get higher MPG. I would also be able to fool around with a few other OBD-11 settings (windows down with the key fob, Urban Joke turn signals, etc.) :)

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
What about "Sport" vs. "Normal" setting?
My recent experiment (noted in a post above) has netted me about 4-5 miles per gallon more in D vs. S around town. Given my rotten 15MPG due to my ridiculously short daily commute, that's a 30% increase. This would appear to be in part due to the drop in RPM from 1100 to 750 at idle (whatever it actually is) so I'm using a less at stops as well as not going up to 3k for up-shifts. It's a lot less fun in normal mode making the car kind of a dog though. So, now that gas is finally coming down a bit, probably time to go back to S.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Is there a difference in throttle response in manual cars? I know Eco is laggy, but don’t recall normal and sport being different.

enobiko

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
My car is a 2017 SE, and does not have ECO. On my 2016 S, I never noticed a difference in throttle response, but I usually only used Sport when autocrossing (my wife didn't like the drone from the Soundaktor). I did notice that the steering response was more direct. Both cars are manuals, I don't know how having a DSG would affect things.
My commute used to be a half hour, part freeway, and part two-lane (55-45mph). The MPG was low at the first few miles, but improved as it warmed up, until I arrived at work. I think 15MPG is ridiculous, but the short commute would explain that. Have you had it on a long trip of several hours?

JonnyTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my record...LoL...Eco mode...Dsg....100 Ron ..... V max 110-120 kmh. 25 km trip. Not bad at all..
Screenshot_20220725-205220.png
Screenshot_20220725-205220.png

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
One thing that you can do is calibrate the average fuel mileage readout in the MFI in your dash. Use VCDS or OBDII to adjust the offset to match your calculated mileage at the pump. Once calibrated, the MFI readout will be pretty accurate if you drive conservatively. If you drive aggressively, not so much.
How do you do this? I have an obdeleven but don’t know where to go to calibrate it. Thanks in advance.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I have VCDS so I can't give you specific OBDii instructions or screenshots.

It's in the instrument cluster adaptation area. Look for something like "correct consumption display" or something similar. It should be a percentage. I adjusted mine up 3% and that got it pretty close, as long as I stay out of the throttle.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I stopped caring really, but I still look. 100% of the time my computer is within 1 mpg of computed manually, sometimes dead on. Could be the 18" wheels are the sweet spot for the calibration, don't know. Since I don't drive that much anyway, it varies a lot. With silly around town trips of 3010 miles, and one 100 mile interstate trip weekly, I'm now at 28.5 routinely. That's in Sport, in normal I was always above 30. For my weekly commute of 100 miles, which is 14 miles city, the rest highway, my average is 33/34 mpg in sport, 35/37 in normal. Depends on how I drive really 😁

On a longer meandering journey I can average 35 or higher if I lay back on the right foot. My last 6,000 miles average overall now shows 28.6 mpg.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Yea, I get 33mpg calculated at the pump pretty often. When I go into town I usually see the computer calculate 30 or so mpgs, outside of town I get around 36mpgs, 33 is right in the center....so its pretty accurate for me. That's with a wot pull here and there, driving smoothly goes a lot way. Don't ride people's ass, in general brake as little as possible through turns and around town. Braking = burning energy. Learn to hypermile and some habits will become natural even when your not trying to get max mpgs.