GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reintroducing myself, transitioned from a GTI to an R

BTFPTM

Hi everyone,

Second intro, I joined a couple years back as the owner of a Mk7 GTI, sadly last year a semi-truck decided it wanted the lane space the GTI & I were in, while the GTI & I were still in it, and the poor car suffered enough damage that it would never be its true self again.

After some searching, a few weeks ago I caved to the appeal of more power and picked up a 2017 Golf R. Did I really need it? Of course not, who does? But sometimes ya gotta enjoy life and do something just cuz ya wanna. So I did :giggle:

Holy balls, this car is a riot :cool: It's the fastest car I've owned by far, it pulls quite happily all the way to its limiter (260kmh, gotta love the German Autobahn) and where the GTI was unnervingly twitchy at its top speed (245kmh) this car is quite calm. Great stability from the changes VW made to the aero panels compared to the GTI, and the brakes are incredible. It's the kind of car that can get its driver into trouble because it seems to encourage pushing the limit, it just begs to be driven fast. I can't wait to get it on a track, I wanna learn how to handle the AWD system.

Oh, and the tech, it's a 6-speed manual (I'm old school, I like gears and a clutch) with the optional selectable driving modes.

That's all for now, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these crazy times.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Nice upgrade. Congrats.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Welcome back, nice upgrade!

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Congrats.

Now tell us over here on our side of the pond that yours has a sunroof, while we can't even get one.. and watch heads implode. :p
Or a spare tire and basic hand tools 🤔

Where are the scenic pics tho! Welcome back. I left for a while because I didn’t wanna pay for an R in 2015 and got a WRX on a Mk6 GTI trade. Ended up with a 7.5 Rabbit four years later.. and now finally I’ve an R. I should have ponied up back then.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
:)

Attachments

• 96013033_10221191585554584_4569583871363907584_o.jpg
    96013033_10221191585554584_4569583871363907584_o.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 175

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Congratulations on the upgrade, also made the move from a GTI as well. This is now my marker for a hot hatch, no offense to the GTI :)

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Unlike a sunroof, that stuff is easily added. Yeah it sucks to have to pay for it, but the car is FAR cheaper in the first place over here, so that makes it tolerable.

I struggled with ordering one over getting a full size spare, but I can’t justify taking up the little space we do have with a full spare.

Still waiting for scenic Europe pics!

texan engineer

The way I run the car, I never use the lower boot floor setting anyways. Therefore, a full size spare does not reduce my cargo space anyways. All I lose is the stowage space for the boot cover (which I can deal with on the rare occasions I do need to remove it).

Just finished my full size spare conversion today, which I plan to post up somewhere. I know it's not news, but I figured some pictures would be helpful for others.

Lcavalletti

Passed Driver's Ed
can you let me know what and where do I purchase the spare tire kit. So the spare tire kit will fit in US spec R's, it just goes around the subwoofer? No modifications are needed to make it fit?

Thanks for the info. Id like to get one asap