GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Refilling The Cooling System

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Has anyone drained and refilled the cooling system in the cozy setting of their own garage? What special tools are required to pull all the air out to prevent a subsequent air lock? Can any of the said tools be rented from AutoZone and the like?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I haven't with this car yet, but I have many others and bikes as well, and I'd approach this similarly - it shouldn't require any additional tools, just let the engine do the circulating work:

I've not looked, but I'm guessing this car doesn't have a separate actual radiator cap anywhere? If that is the case, I'd slowly fill the coolant as much as possible into the expansion tank, to the max fill line initially. The majority of it should just flow in.

I'd then start the car and have it tick over leaving the cap off. Turn the heater on full to maximise flow, give hoses you can easily reach safely (not near spinning fans or belts) a squeeze or two. Chances are, the level will start to drop immediately - keep topping it up till it seems to stabilise, and before the coolant gets too hot.

Then close the tank up, take the car for a short steady drive, let it cool off and check level again, top up as required. Repeat if necessary.

Edit to add - there is this tool: https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Univ...2006_2007_2008_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014/

But IMHO, at the price that's more of use for shops where time is money and they don't have the time to do the slow fill/run/recheck as required home method. You would however also be able to get more old coolant out with that one...it's more a way to do a complete flush vs just a coolant change which for the home mechanic just gravity draining from a lower hose, some will be left in the system.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I haven't with this car yet, but I have many others and bikes as well, and I'd approach this similarly - it shouldn't require any additional tools, just let the engine do the circulating work:

I've not looked, but I'm guessing this car doesn't have a separate actual radiator cap anywhere? If that is the case, I'd slowly fill the coolant as much as possible into the expansion tank, to the max fill line initially. The majority of it should just flow in.

I'd then start the car and have it tick over leaving the cap off. Turn the heater on full to maximise flow, give hoses you can easily reach safely (not near spinning fans or belts) a squeeze or two. Chances are, the level will start to drop immediately - keep topping it up till it seems to stabilise, and before the coolant gets too hot.

Then close the tank up, take the car for a short steady drive, let it cool off and check level again, top up as required. Repeat if necessary.

Edit to add - there is this tool: https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Univ...2006_2007_2008_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013_2014/

But IMHO, at the price that's more of use for shops where time is money and they don't have the time to do the slow fill/run/recheck as required home method. You would however also be able to get more old coolant out with that one...it's more a way to do a complete flush vs just a coolant change which for the home mechanic just gravity draining from a lower hose, some will be left in the system.

Your instructions are very similar to what I've researched. So you think there's no real need for the said tool to make sure no air gets trapped in the cooling system?

PS
You are correct, our radiators do not have a dedicated fill hole, so I'll be filling through the expansion tank.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
No, the air will find its way to the top over time and so long as you can get enough coolant in in the first place, just running it up/circulating it with the top left off for a start then repeated short trips you will be fine.

Curious, why are you changing it so early? I think technically it's supposed to be a lifetime coolant in our cars.....that being said I will most likely do mine before 10 years are up say.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
No, the air will find its way to the top over time and so long as you can get enough coolant in in the first place, just running it up/circulating it with the top left off for a start then repeated short trips you will be fine.

Curious, why are you changing it so early? I think technically it's supposed to be a lifetime coolant in our cars.....that being said I will most likely do mine before 10 years are up say.

Got it.

I'll be changing the coolant when replacing my leaking thermostat/water pump.