GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red coolant light - No leaks

L33JP1

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi guys,

Got a 16 plate mk7r,

of recent, been having the red coolant light pop up.. it’s every now and then, possibly once or twice this week. I immediately stop when it pops up, the coolant levels are all fine (when hot/cold) so don’t really see what the issue could be. When I switch the engine off and back on, the lights gone & it won’t pop up again for a couple of days. Anyone got any ideas?
The cars temperature seems fine, a little hot from the bay but feel that’s as expected as the drive was a little spirited but nothing too hot or any signs of overheating.
Cars never gone on cold, always warmed up right etc.
anyone had anything similar?
Friend of mine mentioned it could be a dodgy temp sensor so that would be my initial thought. There are no visual signs of any breaks/leaks.
Heard from some other people here that thermostat seemed to be an issue at times.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
The thermostat housing will fail and the sensor goes haywire. Makes your temp gauge go up fast past mid putting you in limp mode. Did for me at 35k miles. Does the dash light come on during sharp turns? If so check your windshield washer fluid.

L33JP1

Car(s)
Golf R
The thermostat housing will fail and the sensor goes haywire. Makes your temp gauge go up fast past mid putting you in limp mode. Did for me at 35k miles. Does the dash light come on during sharp turns? If so check your windshield washer fluid.
The temp gauge is fine, never goes up over mid and have never been in limp mode so possibly rules out issue with thermostat housing?
Dash light doesn’t come on at sharp turns either. I’ll just be driving along and I’ll get the red coolant indicator pop up dead centre of my dash, will beep a few times etc.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The temp gauge is fine, never goes up over mid and have never been in limp mode so possibly rules out issue with thermostat housing?
Dash light doesn’t come on at sharp turns either. I’ll just be driving along and I’ll get the red coolant indicator pop up dead centre of my dash, will beep a few times etc.
The temp gauge will never move once you reach operating temperature unless you start to overheat. If you're not having to add coolant there's no leak so it seems like a sensor error.