GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommended pad / polish combo for VW paint?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That coating is very forgiving, but please take your time. Any mistake that fully cures will have to be entirely buffed out again.
Very true… when I got the car in 2019 I tried to install cquartz after i 2 stage corrected the car from the dealer lot swirls on my urano gray and I Fucked up the application on the hood and was a bitch to cut/buff it all back off. Been scared since to try and ceramic coat the whole car and juts been sticking with the typical sealant and messed with that hybrid ceramic waxes.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Here is another detailer (White Details) working on a Golf R
Great vid! Funny enough my wash and prep techniques are very very similar to his approach.
Did learn some good stuff though mostly about polishing:
* Warm up claybars
* I guess i already knew this but it would help to have a small micro polisher for small areas
* Masking off adjacent panels, but thats more detail work
Didn't learn too much about actual polishing; i think overall my technique is good, i just need some stronger equipment, an air compressor, and lots of fresh polishing pads.
That coating is very forgiving, but please take your time. Any mistake that fully cures will have to be entirely buffed out again. You will need a prep-spray, either IPA with distilled water or an actual Prep cleaner before the coating. Some of these, including IPA water can make the paint swell hiding imperfections that will later show up under the coating. The same happens when you overheat the paint polishing.

Jim White is an awesome detailer. But his attention to detail is not what you will expect from detailers here in the US unless they are working on vehicles destined to an auto show. I don't think I have ever seen anyone truly detailing at his level. He has customers that send his vehicle to get detailed from all around the world from Europe to the US.
Thanks for the heads up; i get it, the application process is very tricky and you gotta be careful. I just want to do the ceramic coat myself though, and the off the counter ~$30/bottle hybrid waxes don't really cut it for me, so its time to step it up.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
thanks! will watch.

i did order a bigger polisher, and will be getting some fresh polishes and pads soon. also guess i will need an actual air compressor for pad blowouts.

View attachment 241726

You really gotta pay for your own shit? Don't they know you're Adam and it's your birthday time too?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
yo, if you didn't already buy the adams, i'd check out griots g9. it's cheaper and you can buy different pads and probably a more aggressive compound for those heavier scratches with the savings. instead of the wheel cleaner, i think their wheel & tire cleaner is a better all around solution for wheels & tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-Random-Orbital-Polisher/dp/B089JFDKRZ
GARBAGE... Seriously though. you need to read the specs.
  • Powerful 1,000-watt motor, 9mm orbit for efficient defect removal
That is a 9MM throw... 9MM is only good for one thing. And above that it's a 6" backing pad, a 6" with a 9mm orbit is a joke. Hell, even Rupes with their high torque gearing don't recommend using a 6" pad on them. I would buy Adams with my eyes closed before buying any Griots garbage.

FYI, Adams Tire Cleaner is the best APC you can find. Just dilute 3:1 for normal cleaning, and full strength for heavy duty cleaning. Optimum Power Clean was my to-go tire cleaner until I used Adams, at full strength I think Adams have the edge.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^Thanks both for the inputs! I've tried quite a few wheel cleaners; havent tried adams yet