edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
What's that intake that came out more recently that's kinda like the R600 intake but about $150 cheaper? It's not inexpensive compared to anything else listed, but that's my recommendation...whatever that one is.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
What weatherstripping are you talking about? If it's the one that goes from side to side below the windshield wipers I can tell you that your engine will get covered with accumulated dust and dirt.

@victorofhavoc commented here it is not a good idea https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/hood-vents-really-work.337622/page-2#post-7622561

I thought removing that rubber strip would allow hot air escape from the the engine bay.

Yep, that dust and dirt on the engine comes from that cowl area forming a high pressure pocket (part of why windshield wipers are now so aerodynamic in design and why the vw ones tuck away), and when you remove that rubber seal it sucks air in and just compounds the problem.

Old school drag racers like to install hinge lift kits to vent back there, which is fine if you're a dragster looking to cool off while sitting around idling, but not so great if you're on a track moving at speed for 20 minutes or traveling down the highway.