Silver 2017 6MT
Cobb AccessPort

🙂

Last edited:

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
If you're planning on modding and fixing all things yourself, then VCDS is pretty much required, IMO. It was the first car thing I bought, on the same day I brought the car home.

If you're not that hardcore, then obd11 is probably fine.

(Checks warranty expiration date)
Looks like I have another item on my list of things to buy.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I’m another vote for VCDS. I had an OBD11. It worked until I needed it. Trying to get tech support and warranty support is like pulling teeth. I had to ship it to Latvia to get it warrantied. No clue where it is at this point. Hopefully I get it back soon. I used VCDS in my old job and loved it. I bought a used one from a forum member. It sucks having to lug the laptop around to use it, but a small I convenience for something that has always worked when I needed it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would also recommend VCDS, and try to find a 2nd hand Micro CAN interface to save money. (YMMV on the Micro-CAN - see StorableComa's comment below)

Also, for those referencing cheap OBD scanners, I'd highly recommend considering the OBDLink MX+. It's compatible with a ton of 3rd party apps that can access CAN modules that the inexpensive OBD scanners cannot.

Worth checking out for any other vehicles in your garage.

edit:

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...k-buy-mxp&tag=obdlink-buy-mxp-20&linkCode=ur2
That cost more than OBDeleven with less capabilities. You can get a $15 dongle that will do the exact same thing as that one.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
It's $200
And requires much more initiation and thought process. I’ve used both.
$200 to code some windows is hard to swallow. The average user here will never go past a couple mods with it. And beyond that the cable requires a laptop, not everyone has a lappy right?

Sorta worthless to post “it’s $200” and not include it’s locked to three VIN at that price.
So far I’ve connected my OBD11 to....let’s see 5 VW’s..just sayin

cb1111

$200 to code some windows is hard to swallow. The average user here will never go past a couple mods with it. And beyond that the cable requires a laptop, not everyone has a lappy right?

Sorta worthless to post “it’s $200” and not include it’s locked to three VIN at that price.
Unless you recognize that we wouldn't have OBD11 without VCDS - and that most people (including the OBD11 developers) will point you towards the VCDS forums for technical assistance.

And then you have that goofball pricing system for the automated tasks - that may, or may not, work as intended.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Unless you recognize that we wouldn't have OBD11 without VCDS - and that most people (including the OBD11 developers) will point you towards the VCDS forums for technical assistance.

And then you have that goofball pricing system for the automated tasks - that may, or may not, work as intended.

I don't have a problem with the goofball pricing system for the automated tasks, mostly because it's nothing you can't do on your own if you want. I don't see an issue with them charging for that convenience. You want the Urban Joke taillight mod? Either code it yourself for free, or pay for the 1 touch change. The only part I disagree with (and to be honest, not even sure if it's the case), is if they charge you to revert back. If they do, that's just scummy.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I still rate the OBDEleven, it has done everything I have asked of it faultlessly on my car and many others as it is not limited to VIN numbers. At it's price for the Gen2 even with the Pro licence it is a no brainer.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

You said "vcds was too expensive"

I said "it's $200"

What don't you understand?

I guess I could explicitly state that $200 is quite a fair price for something so powerful, but did I really need to?