GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

recommend engine fault code scanner

ckf80

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

i would like to ask what is the suitable engine fault code scanner recommend as i would like to read my engine fault code in case got engine check light pop up.

Thanks

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
OBD11 is by far the most popular for this platform. It scans fault codes among many other features.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
OBD11 is by far the most popular for this platform. It scans fault codes among many other features.
This. It should be everyone’s first mod purchase.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
even a simple $20 OBDII scanner from advance auto parts will scan and allow you to clear

cb1111

VW uses unique fault codes that aren't read by generic readers. The two most common are VCDS and OBDEleven.

VCDS is the most capable and runs on Windows. OBDeleven is Android (and now iOS as well) but isn't quite as capable.

As swcrow said, a generic reader will read and clear some codes, but the VW specific readers will do much more.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Furthering this thread, if like ckf80 I wanted only to read codes and reset error lights, and bought VCDS or OBDII to do it, would a VW Dealership know of it looking at data? In other words, do VCDS or OBDII leave evidence behind when a code is cleared or a light reset? Thanks.

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
I currently use the same old $20 ELM 327 bluetooth adapter and the torque app for all my vehicles including the GTI. It appears to work fine, fetches data consistent with every other vehicle I've owned and pulls up the basics expected of any OBD2 reader. Cars is brand new and I haven't had any problems so I haven't had to deal with putting it to the test.
I get that other scanners will offer more bells and whistles as expected for their price point and intent.
My question is this.
Where the expectation is that any code reader will be able to pull codes, is there a known issue where standard code readers will be unable to pull codes stored in the ECU and clear them? What is an example of a fault code stored on a VW that will not be reported by a standard reader (For example...you have a check engine light and the reader reports nothing is wrong)?

I'm asking this because OP asked for a code reader.
An ELM327 compliant dongle can be had for under 20 bucks. Torque pro is $5.

(Now excuse me as try and resist the urge to buy ODBeleven after reading the product page. I DON'T NEED IT I DON"T NEED IT)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
If you're planning on modding and fixing all things yourself, then VCDS is pretty much required, IMO. It was the first car thing I bought, on the same day I brought the car home.

If you're not that hardcore, then obd11 is probably fine.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
I would also recommend VCDS, and try to find a 2nd hand Micro CAN interface to save money. (YMMV on the Micro-CAN - see StorableComa's comment below)

Also, for those referencing cheap OBD scanners, I'd highly recommend considering the OBDLink MX+. It's compatible with a ton of 3rd party apps that can access CAN modules that the inexpensive OBD scanners cannot.

Worth checking out for any other vehicles in your garage.

edit:

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...k-buy-mxp&tag=obdlink-buy-mxp-20&linkCode=ur2

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I would also recommend VCDS, and try to find a 2nd hand Micro CAN interface to save money.

Also, for those referencing cheap OBD scanners, I'd highly recommend considering the OBDLink MX+. It's compatible with a ton of 3rd party apps that can access CAN modules that the inexpensive OBD scanners cannot.

Worth checking out for any other vehicles in your garage.

edit:

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...k-buy-mxp&tag=obdlink-buy-mxp-20&linkCode=ur2
Need a Hex v2/Hex-net cable for MK7+ vehicles. The older RossTech cables may work on earlier MK7s, but YMMV. Had to upgraded my Can+USB cable for some features on my 2017.