GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommend a tool set for 99% of track needs

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Track rats, lovers of speed and converters of dollars to noise!

I've been lucky at the track and only ever had to replace pads, rotors, and a coolant overflow reservoir in the paddock. My travel kit is nothing but the tools to turn every fastener in the front brakes, plus the power bleeder :D I could imagine, however, an otherwise dream trip turning badly with some unforeseen issue far from home with seat time at stake... the reservoir was a lucky near-miss.

What is your choice for a full tool kit that fulfills 99% of your worst-case nightmare, oh my f*****g god, i'm about to miss a track day if i don't fix this needs? And are there any to be avoided or accommodated with reservations? Thanks in advance!

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Its simple you just ask other guys in the pits if you can borrow tools. Let the guys with trailers haul the tools for you. If you don't have something everyone is usually more than willing to help you out.

I just carry one if those like 100 tool box set things + my jack, stands, & power tools.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Its simple you just ask other guys in the pits if you can borrow tools. Let the guys with trailers haul the tools for you. If you don't have something everyone is usually more than willing to help you out.

I just carry one if those like 100 tool box set things + my jack, stands, & power tools.

I had a guy bail me out with the torx bit that i didn't have, but it took me a few extra minutes and hell, i'd like to be the guy to bail the other guy out the next time, if you know what i mean. Just using the forum as a review guide really!

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
Track rats, lovers of speed and converters of dollars to noise!

I've been lucky at the track and only ever had to replace pads, rotors, and a coolant overflow reservoir in the paddock. My travel kit is nothing but the tools to turn every fastener in the front brakes, plus the power bleeder :D I could imagine, however, an otherwise dream trip turning badly with some unforeseen issue far from home with seat time at stake... the reservoir was a lucky near-miss.

What is your choice for a full tool kit that fulfills 99% of your worst-case nightmare, oh my f*****g god, i'm about to miss a track day if i don't fix this needs? And are there any to be avoided or accommodated with reservations? Thanks in advance!

Harbor Freight has a 301 piece toolset (often on sale for $160) that I drag to track days. It’s very heavy and probably overkill but it is a nice all-in-one solution. That plus their 1.5 ton compact racing jack and you can handle a lot of the things that might happen.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Toolset in a blowmolded case.
Cordless Impact
CTS fluid extraction syringe
Power Bleeder
Brake Piston Retraction toolset
Torque Wrench
Funnels
Spare Pads
Spare Brake Fluid
Top up Oil
Jack
jack Stands
Magnetic Pick-up tool
Allen Key Set
Triple Square Set
Lots of water in the cooler
OBD11
GoPro
Ram Mount

I’m looking at a 10x10 Canopy. Any suggestions? Costco has a Eurmax online.

Fortunately VIR has the TMI store at the track. Don is super helpful. GMP Performance is normally there. So is NGP for Audi events. There is Quantum’s race shop and they will check your car if you have any squeaks or rattles that concern you.

Ive recently added my small Nespresso to my travel kit. Having good espresso in the morning is a must. Lol

Last edited:

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Cordless Impact
Power Bleeder
Torque Wrench
Funnels
Spare Pads
Spare Brake Fluid
Top up Oil
Jack
jack Stands
Magnetic Pick-up tool
Allen Key Set
Triple Square Set
OBD11
GoPro
Ram Mount

Fortunately VIR has the TMI store at the track. Don is super helpful. GMP Performance is normally there. So is NGP for Audi events. There is Quantum’s race shop and they will check your car if you have any squeaks or rattles that concern you.

Ive recently added my small Nespresso to my travel kit. Having good espresso in the morning is a must. Lol

Reading the above list, i bring all these things but the espresso - I have the VIR coffee, and sausage egg & cheese biscuit :D

What i'm really asking is for which set of hand tools, e.g. the one in a blow molded case. I've noticed that some kits out there skip over a socket size or two, or don't include this or that. I have a rag-tag partial collection of hand tools in more than one box and it sometimes makes things more difficult to find, esp. when sweating bullets in a 98F paddock with no breeze. I'm sort of leaning towards one of the Craftsman sets but some have caveats like the missing critical socket or something else... previous experiences with Harbor Freight hand tools have led me to conclude that many of them are single-use only. I would naturally prefer Snap-On quality but have a Craftsman budget, like most mere mortals.

I have the Core 10x10 canopy and it's pretty nice, a single person can deploy or stow it and the measurement is of the canopy (not the leg footprint, as many angled-leg manufacturers use that as their size metric).

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Harbor Freight has a 301 piece toolset (often on sale for $160) that I drag to track days. It’s very heavy and probably overkill but it is a nice all-in-one solution. That plus their 1.5 ton compact racing jack and you can handle a lot of the things that might happen.

I love the Harbor Freight jacks, i have the 1.5 and the 3 and they're great! The hand tools, not so much - i've twisted a torx bit apart, busted a socket, chipped a screwdriver, etc. Good in a pinch but oh so aggravating sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless, and when i do take the trip around to see what's local i may just have a look at it.

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
Cordless Impact
Power Bleeder
Torque Wrench
Funnels
Spare Pads
Spare Brake Fluid
Top up Oil
Jack
jack Stands
Magnetic Pick-up tool
Allen Key Set
Triple Square Set
OBD11
GoPro
Ram Mount

I do not have personal experience with the Costco eurmax canopy but almost bought it. It seems to be an upgraded version with sturdier legs and the optional walls. I ended up not buying it because I wanted a color other than white because summers out here in the sun are uncomfortably hot. It seems that darker colors are more comfortable underneath.
You have a great list of things. The only additional thing I bring is an LED worklight, wheel chocks and Windex.

I love the Harbor Freight jacks, i have the 1.5 and the 3 and they're great! The hand tools, not so much - i've twisted a torx bit apart, busted a socket, chipped a screwdriver, etc. Good in a pinch but oh so aggravating sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion nevertheless, and when i do take the trip around to see what's local i may just have a look at it.

I share your tool quality angst. In the end the kit is just for those bailout emergency situations — it has successfully solved problems with a blown charge pipe, loose exhaust, and other mechanical issues. It has been an effective friend-maker at the track.

Last edited:

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Most of the 300 piece tool sets I've seen make up most of the count by including a ton of small 1/4" drive sockets that never get used, along with junky screw driver tips. These invariably fall out of the bubble case and become disorganized clutter.

I think you'd be better served to hand select just the tools you need, along with the specialty tools, and just pack your own toolbox. Throw in hand cleaner and some rags while your at it.

So this isn't essential if there's an air-compressor on site, but it's sure handy to have at-hand. A HF air compressor, stuffed in an ammo can with a M/C battery. It works a-lot better than a cheapo cigarette lighter pump. Press the button near the chuck for a quick +2 psi.

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

No experience with this canopy as I have a 10x10 EZ-Up that I hardly ever use. If I have not rented a garage then my usual paddock shelter is a beach shelter similar to this one: Amazon Link. I broke a pole on my old shelter last weekend so I'll be buying one of these sometime before I need it next (I have garages at Sonoma and Buttonwillow next month so no shelter required).