GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recoding the radio to eliminate Fender amp

mageus

I played with the VCDS settings. Byte 11 refers to the type of amplification:

01 - speaker-level out from the head unit.
02 - digital out via MOST
03 - line-level out to amplifier

Note that 02 is not listed as an option with the latest VCDS update, but works if you type 02 manually into the bit field.

Byte 4 tells MIB2 your speaker setup. It refers to the number of channels and whether rear speakers are installed.

00000000 Sound System Installed - PR-8U
Bass - mid - treble w/o numbers
Balance w/o fader
3C000000 2 channels / 4 passive speakers - PR-8RE
Same as above
AA000000 2 channels / 4 passie speakers - PR-8RH / PR-9VE
Balance has fader
BE000000 4 channels / 6 passive speakers - PR-8RL
Balance has fader
FF000000 4 channels / 8 passive speakers - PR-8RM
Balance has fader

There doesn't appear to be any difference between 00 and 3C, and among AA/BE/FF. Maybe there is EQ applied? Note that you don't get any subwoofer EQ, even with FF. You probably need to select an external amp to get this option. I'm going to add a 7-band equalizer, once I figure out where to mount it.

So, no, you don't need to spend $$$ on a MOST adapter.

overmonk

Passed Driver's Ed
Mageus,

Thanks a bunch for posting - I'm accumulating equipment for my own install. I have a question for you - did you ever consider just ditching the rear door speakers entirely, and running only fronts and a sub? I don't really get many passengers,a nd when I do, they rarely want to hear my music.

I currently have the stock + Helix setup. My plan is to move to front component speakers with aftermarket amplification, and a good sealed 10" subwoofer. I want it to be underfloor and obviously that's possible, but I don't have access to the tools I'd need to build my own - I'd be ok with a box in my cargo area, at least initially.

I've never built a system like this before, so I'm reading a lot. Thanks for the info!

danjam

who here has any suggestions or tips when looking for a digital signal processor?

the current tech using integrated tuning software seems relatively new to the consumer market for cars (~3-5 years), and i'm struggling to find any solid information on thorough companions between models' performance/function/value/etc.

has anyone found any good resources to read through on the subject? TIA

bkl1974

who here has any suggestions or tips when looking for a digital signal processor?

the current tech using integrated tuning software seems relatively new to the consumer market for cars (~3-5 years), and i'm struggling to find any solid information on thorough companions between models' performance/function/value/etc.

has anyone found any good resources to read through on the subject? TIA
I just recently had a AudioControl DM-608 dsp installed in my GTI. Having a small problem with losing the fader. I have an obdeleven but I'm looking for information on getting the fader function back but I'm new to all the coding and such. The DSP is great (like 400 bucks) but my problem is not so great. Appreciate any help anyone can give.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

danjam

I just recently had a AudioControl DM-608 dsp installed in my GTI. Having a small problem with losing the fader. I have an obdeleven but I'm looking for information on getting the fader function back but I'm new to all the coding and such. The DSP is great (like 400 bucks) but my problem is not so great. Appreciate any help anyone can give.

yeah, i've been looking at the audiocontrol 608 and 810. there are quite a few others on the market, which is why i'm trying to track down some user reviews and/or comparisons.

did you have fader control before? is this a recent issue, or was it always like this? here are a few things to check:

- wiring connections are solid
- no grounded leads, etc.
- coded brain output is 4-channel
- test back of unit for output to front and rear channels

bkl1974

I had fader control before install. I had a professional hook up the door speakers because I was having some problems. Fader issue started after that. I'm new to all of this but have a basic understanding of your solutions so I will take it back to the guy who hooked it up and see what he thinks. Appreciate the help and if I get it figured out I'll do a follow up post. As far as the audiocontrol unit i purchased I think you'd like it being you seem to know what your doing. Having the ability to connect to a laptop to tune is nice.

jedi35

This is all great info!! My installer and I are looking to get my custom system in my Golf R this way, bypassing the Fender Audio System. I'm not sure that I understand everything, but hope that I can get help here if we need it. Thanks.

I can go into my miniDSP 6x8 with speaker leads, RCAs, or digital. Is there an issue with the voltage possibly being too high for my DSP if I go into it with speaker leads? I do have that Audiocontrol L2ci unit. Wouldn't that be safer to use to feed my DSP?

danjam

I can go into my miniDSP 6x8 with speaker leads, RCAs, or digital. Is there an issue with the voltage possibly being too high for my DSP if I go into it with speaker leads? I do have that Audiocontrol L2ci unit. Wouldn't that be safer to use to feed my DSP?

if your DSP has the ability to process high level/speaker level input signals then it would be redundant to use the LC2i. a two-channel line level converter like this is more appropriate for only adding an amp/sub to a factory stereo.

out of curiosity, what DSP are you using?

jedi35

I have the miniDSP 6x8. I was told by a pretty good car audio installer that I would have to be careful going into the speaker level inputs of a DSP. Stock car systems don't all put out a standard voltage, and there is a possibility of overload if the voltage is too high. I'm not trying to create a redundancy, but the line out converter would take the speaker leads and give me two RCA outputs, which would be safer for my DSP, you think? He just doesn't want me to fry my unit. If you think things are safe, I will proceed. Is there a voltage adjustment on the LC2i?

The DSP can take just two channels, front left and right, and process everything that I need to run the amps for my front stage and my sub. So that's why I was thinking of the line out converter as a possible solution as well.

How are you guys getting VCDS? I see an inexpensive VAG COM USB cable that I can get online and it should plug into the car interface port. How do I know if the cable will work? Is there a brand or type of cable that I absolutely must have? Anything needed besides the usb cable, a laptop, and the VCDS software? Thanks.

Czar999

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Well I got to this step in my install and am running into issues.

First I followed the OBDeleven steps but it seems it is only passing the tweeter freqs as no other sound was coming through my DSP to the mid range/mids or sub. Do you know if there were any other steps required when using the OBDEleven?

Second I gave up and reverted everything back to the way it was before and now am not getting any sound from the factory setup : (

Hello,
I am planning to do the same. Just bought a OBD11 for my 2018 GOLF R MK7.8. Did you figure this out finally? Were you able to bypass the fender amp with OBD11 coding?

Czar999

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hello,
I am planning to do the same. Just bought a OBD11 for my 2018 GOLF R MK7.8. Did you figure this out finally? Were you able to bypass the fender amp with OBD11 coding?

Finally I got it working. I was able to bypass fender amp. Followed OBDEleven steps. Connected pins 6 and 2 to a cheap 6.5 inch coaxial speaker. Voice commands working too.

Thanks to q2quest(Paul) for his help.

Next step I will go an installer to get my DSP/AMP. Will update this thread with my progress.

Here is the video for proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-YBdjTkLs

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Congrats. Many of us have done this. I would recommend getting the proper connector for the speaker outputs. Part number is provided earlier in the thread.

jedi35

Going to try this with an OBD11 soon. My custom audio system with DSP is getting installed in a few days. I hope that someone can help me if I run into issues. Did anyone fine out for sure if the internal Fender speaker leads can stay active while running the external speaker leads to my DSP?

jedi35

Hi, the OBDEleven menus/titles/instructions have changed and updated. A buddy tried to help me with this and the step by step instructions are different now. We couldn't get it done. A little help, please??

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, the OBDEleven menus/titles/instructions have changed and updated. A buddy tried to help me with this and the step by step instructions are different now. We couldn't get it done. A little help, please??

same, having issues. radio doesnt play,ipod doesnt play, volume doesnt work. no output from radio

Last edited: