GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recently installed Racing Line catch can and have a few questions

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
IME it doesn't settle out, at least not in a short time. Note also the water has a yellow tinge to it, and it carries some oil/fuel smell which i'd assume is from the blowby.
The first picture shows the syringe immediately after I sucked it out. The second photo shows it after settling for 2 hours. The only thing I found strange is that I would have expected the oil to be on top of the foamy watery tan stuff. Do you think it needed more than 2 hrs to separate?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The first picture shows the syringe immediately after I sucked it out. The second photo shows it after settling for 2 hours. The only thing I found strange is that I would have expected the oil to be on top of the foamy watery tan stuff. Do you think it needed more than 2 hrs to separate?
If you still have it shake it up and check it in the morning.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you still have it shake it up and check it in the morning.
Unfortunately, I dumped it in my oil reservoir for recycling. I will check it next time I empty the can. Will the can also fill up with normal street driving, or only with track driving?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unfortunately, I dumped it in my oil reservoir for recycling. I will check it next time I empty the can. Will the can also fill up with normal street driving, or only with track driving?
Far more with track driving. I drive my car pretty hard but only on the street and I now have 137000 miles and only collect about an ounce of blowby every 4000 miles. So if your piston rings are good you won't collect much with street driving.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Far more with track driving. I drive my car pretty hard but only on the street and I now have 137000 miles and only collect about an ounce of blowby every 4000 miles. So if your piston rings are good you won't collect much with street driving.

This isn't true with the VWR can, it will collect condensate as a function of humidity, operating temperatures, etc. and collects much more condensate when operated in cold humid conditions.

If you review the design of the VWR PCV plate in comparison to the OEM one, you will see why this is the case.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This isn't true with the VWR can, it will collect condensate as a function of humidity, operating temperatures, etc. and collects much more condensate when operated in cold humid conditions.

If you review the design of the VWR PCV plate in comparison to the OEM one, you will see why this is the case.
I agree. But condensation is related to the ambient temperature and this time of year it isn't a problem. Talking about street driving by the way.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The engine ingests water vapor from the atmosphere, and lots of it condensates in the CC.
If the can fills, the Raceline plate dumps excess to the oil pan, where no smoke is made. ;)
I emailed RacingLine tech support. I asked them if the amount that came out of my car was normal. I also asked what happens if the can fills all the way up by accident. Here is their response:

"Glad to hear the kit is working!

That is normal for trackday use, especially if you are driving hard. We recommend emptying after track use every time.

As for what happens (when it fills up), eventually it will cause a vacuum and pull fluid back through the turbo so we would recommend checking the amount of fluid in the tank every other fuel fill up."