GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recently installed Racing Line catch can and have a few questions

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I installed the Racing Line catch can / PCV plate approximately 600-700miles ago (approx 500 are street miles). I have one track day with about six 20 minute sessions on it as well (125 track miles). I drained the tank today, and this is what came out, it is about 100 CC's or 3.3 OZ. First picture is before it all settled, and the second picture is after it all settled for about 2 hrs. The good news is that I didn't get any smoke out of the exhaust around the high G right hander that blew smoke like clockwork the last time I was at that track!

I have a few questions:
1. Is that a normal amount that came out of the can, for the amount of miles I put on the car?
2. There is clearly oil at the bottom, but what is the other stuff / foam that is on the top that's lighter than oil?
3. What will happen if I don't realize it, and the tank fills up to the top?

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
How is your coolant level as that looks like emulsified oil/water.
The coolant level is perfect and hasn’t budged in a long time. when I pour it out, it feels very watery. However, if it was water, wouldn’t the oil float on top of it? Whatever substance it is, it is actually lighter than oil.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
That's typical of stuff the catch can holds. Don't worry about it. As far as the level, every car will be different....

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
The engine ingests water vapor from the atmosphere, and lots of it condensates in the CC.
If the can fills, the Raceline plate dumps excess to the oil pan, where no smoke is made. ;)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's typical of stuff the catch can holds. Don't worry about it. As far as the level, every car will be different....
The lighter colored substance is not normal. With normal street driving the catch can should only have the black colored liquid. The racing session contributed the oil and since the lighter color is on top I'm not sure what it is.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The engine ingests water vapor from the atmosphere, and lots of it condensates in the CC.
If the can fills, the Raceline plate dumps excess to the oil pan, where no smoke is made. ;)
If it was colder weather I would agree but the OP is in Long Island so condensation would burn off and not be collected.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It was upstate where the weather was about 65-70 degrees, and pouring for 1/2 the day. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Plus if it was water, shouldn't the oil be on top instead of the bottom?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It was upstate where the weather was about 65-70 degrees, and pouring for 1/2 the day. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Plus if it was water, shouldn't the oil be on top instead of the bottom?
Yes, oil should be on top. You could send that to Blackstone for analysis.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
The lighter colored substance is not normal. With normal street driving the catch can should only have the black colored liquid. The racing session contributed the oil and since the lighter color is on top I'm not sure what it is.

If it was colder weather I would agree but the OP is in Long Island so condensation would burn off and not be collected.

You don't know what you're talking about. What OP is seeing is normal for this CC.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You don't know what you're talking about. What OP is seeing is normal for this CC.
Really? I've never seen that in my catch can. So what is the lighter colored fluid if you're so smart? Can't be water or it would be on the bottom.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
My bad, i should've just said that's normal for this CC without being a smart ass. ;)
The lighter colored fluid is an emulsion of water, oil, and blowby.
OP is using the same method i use with the catheter syringe (y)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My bad, i should've just said that's normal for this CC without being a smart ass. ;)
The lighter colored fluid is an emulsion of water, oil, and blowby.
OP is using the same method i use with the catheter syringe (y)
If it's as you say the part that is just oil should be on top of clearer solution. Maybe it didn't have time to settle in the tube yet.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
IME it doesn't settle out, at least not in a short time. Note also the water has a yellow tinge to it, and it carries some oil/fuel smell which i'd assume is from the blowby.