GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Received a set of new APR Wheels, having bad shake / balance issue. Are the tire shops I’m using doing something wrong?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine did not come with any.
I'm sure it APR that just had a thread for a wheel sale and said that their wheels were hub centric but neglected to say it's because they include rings and not true hub centric wheels. We argued about it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

scuba_zeus

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I'm sure it APR that just had a thread for a wheel sale and said that their wheels were hub centric but neglected to say it's because they include rings and not true hub centric wheels. We argued about it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

If I was meant to receive the wheels with rings, I did not.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I just tested it, the problem is the way they have it on their website is that you can order the wheels without having to specify the car you are putting these on, it should have a drop down requirement for you to select VW or AUDI to avoid customers from having to deal with this.

It’s the same reason why tire rack, fitment Industries and such won’t even let you checkout till the fitment is confirmed and even then I’ve have them call me to tell me the tire size I ordered “doesn’t” fit my car lol.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Technically they are "hubcentric". They fit over the hub of the wheel. That's all hubcentric means. They are just not 57.1 that are VW specific. I think people are using "hubcentric" as a particular fit for their vehicle...like 57.1 and 66.65.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Technically they are "hubcentric". They fit over the hub of the wheel. That's all hubcentric means. They are just not 57.1 that are VW specific. I think people are using "hubcentric" as a particular fit for their vehicle...like 57.1 and 66.65.
Don’t bother… we went over this in that thread but People got it out for APR so they jump at the opportunity to call them out….

You got lug centric wheels and hub centric wheels, and just as you said these are hub centric’s

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I understand and that's what we argued with him about. He kept saying his wheels were hub centric and they are not. They need rings.

scuba_zeus

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I figured out my problem. I just checked my boxes again, I found an APR hubcentric ring in one of the 4 boxes. The tire shop missed these and threw the other 3 away! SON OF A B****! Just my luck. So they ship with the wheels (I did use the drop down configurator and selected my car and year), however they are out of stock if you order them individually. Just what I needed. And they are different then the eBay rings I put on today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I understand and that's what we argued with him about. He kept saying his wheels were hub centric and they are not. They need rings.

I do get what you are saying. I'm just saying that its a generic word that describes a specific type of fit...for any hub size...not a specific fit like 57.1.

A Mini Cooper and VW both use hubcentric wheels. The Mini is 66.56 and VW is 57.1...both are hubcentric. You just need to specify what hub size you need.

scuba_zeus

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Don’t bother… we went over this in that thread but People got it out for APR so they jump at the opportunity to call them out….

You got lug centric wheels and hub centric wheels, and just as you said these are hub centric’s
See my last post. APR got it right. Me and the tire shop got it wrong. We didn’t know to look for them apparently. I will straighten it up with APR. I emailed them and said I didn’t get any. Now I look like the dumbass.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
See my last post. APR got it right. Me and the tire shop got it wrong. We didn’t know to look for them apparently. I will straighten it up with APR. I emailed them and said I didn’t get any. Now I look like the dumbass.
So they threw one box/ring away though?

If you only have 3 right now, put the ARP ones on the back wheels and one of the fronts and use the eBay one temporarily

Back wheels transmit that high speed shake more.

Also with the one that don’t fit be sure to install the wheel as I suggested before hand tighten the bolts while shimmying the wheel then TQ them down.
That’s how you can install any wheel and not get wobbles - the hubcentrics just make it fail proof

scuba_zeus

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I thought APR wheels always came with rings.
They do. I feel like such a noob right now.

If you only have 3 right now, put the ARP ones on the back wheels and one of the fronts and use the eBay one temporarily

Also with the one that don’t fit be sure to install the wheel as I suggested before hand tighten the bolts while shimmying the wheel then TQ them down.
That’s how you can install any wheel and not get wobbles - the hubcentrics just make it fail proof
I said I only found one of the 4. The tire shop threw the other 3 away. I am going to straighten this out with APR. I ordered a set of 4 before I discovered that I actually had one ring of the 4 left after the tire shop took the wheels out of the boxes and didn’t look for the hub centric rings. What a mess, and I feel like such a noob.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion

You need to read better.

I figured out my problem. I just checked my boxes again, I found an APR hubcentric ring in one of the 4 boxes. The tire shop missed these and threw the other 3 away! SON OF A B****! Just my luck. So they ship with the wheels (I did use the drop down configurator and selected my car and year), however they are out of stock if you order them individually. Just what I needed. And they are different then the eBay rings I put on today.