GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recall on gear shifter trim

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, I had my trim piece replaced under warranty a few years ago (after it sliced me) and the dealer still insisted on doing the recall to re-replace the trim.

cb1111

FWIW, I had my trim piece replaced under warranty a few years ago (after it sliced me) and the dealer still insisted on doing the recall to re-replace the trim.
The first replacement was with the identical trim part. This one has the updated part

cb1111

Well, update for anyone who wants to avoid wasting their day at a dealer: took a copy of the service action in and they said it's not showing up under the VIN so there's nothing they can do. My guess is this must either just be for the DSG trim (or VW hasn't updated something internally yet which is why it's not showing up.) Disappointing but oh well.
Didn't you say it showed up on the NHTSA site when you plugged in your VIN? If you have damaged trim (or it is a concern to you) then call VW corporate because I don't see the distinction in the document

1644950226802.png

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
FWIW - I didn't see it with my VIN on NHTSA, but I do see it with my VIN on the VW recall/TSB page.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Just got my letter. Says I have until 2027. Think I'll wait for awhile as it currently looks okay.

5 years from now everything else will look worn, but 'damn, look at that nice shifter trim' :D

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Didn't you say it showed up on the NHTSA site when you plugged in your VIN? If you have damaged trim (or it is a concern to you) then call VW corporate because I don't see the distinction in the document

View attachment 239277
No, never showed up in a VIN search on either VW or NHTSA. Found it manually searching through TSBs. I agree from the Service Action language it looks like it would be covered but the dealer said no.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Well, update for anyone who wants to avoid wasting their day at a dealer: took a copy of the service action in and they said it's not showing up under the VIN so there's nothing they can do. My guess is this must either just be for the DSG trim (or VW hasn't updated something internally yet which is why it's not showing up.) Disappointing but oh well.
Does the MT trim also have the tendency to slice people's hands open?

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Yeah, I got the letter for my 2021 in the mail the other day as well. Brand new car with less than 10,000 miles...nothing wrong with the trim. I guess I will file it away for 5 years too.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Their's a slight bubble on one side of the top edge of the chrome trim on my DSG shifter knob.
I fear that bubble may rise and split one day.
The chrome trim around my shifter base is perfect.
I wish this recall covered the shift knob too.

*Some years ago part of the trim on my START button began to peel.
I kept that at bay with a clear Badgeskin.