GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rebuilt motors: Curious of your oil consumption, or filling the catchcan?

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
In glad in reading all of this info. So for someone like me who daily drives their car and needs a motor, what parts should I put in it? I don’t want oil consumption or piston slap. and a replacement long block is backordered with no eta so I’m left with possibly building my motor. This shit makes me nervous.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In glad in reading all of this info. So for someone like me who daily drives their car and needs a motor, what parts should I put in it? I don’t want oil consumption or piston slap. and a replacement long block is backordered with no eta so I’m left with possibly building my motor. This shit makes me nervous.

Get a low mileage engine from a salvage yard.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
Get a low mileage engine from a salvage yard.
I’ve been looking. I found 2 from a place in Cali. Their communication is almost zero and doing my due diligence checking the vin numbers I found they were full of shit on the mileage and the other was in a rollover so I don’t know if that’s smart. The ones in Canada they won’t ship to US. One in FL has a broken pan so who knows if it was ran like that or lost pressure etc. a reman long block from vw Isnt much more than a used one salvage.

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Machining of pistons is one thing. Bore size is entirely different. When my block was bored/honed, the machinist discovered .002" wear in cylinder #2. What this means in the grand scheme of things, is that he only cut (honed) .002" of material out of cylinder #2, and made the cylinder true instead of "egg shaped". The remaining cylinders had approximately .003" to .0037" removed, in order for piston to wall clearance of .004" across every cylinder. This was after a second round of honing, because the first round not enough material was removed and the machinist gave me only .002" of p2w clearance, which would have seized the motor as soon as they expanded.

I will agree with anyone that says its not recommended, just passing on what I was told was OK. I stated "JE recommended" rather, I should have said they answered my question. The question was if my cylinders are straight and round and torque plate honed to 3.2480 is that good. The answer was yes.
Assuming the calibration standards used are good along with temperature and I am sure other variables one would assume a size can be achieved with very good precision and repeatability but we all know that's not the reality. At minimum the same micrometer used to measure the piston should be used to calibrate the bore gauge all while at the same temperature ideally. I have the tools to check it again myself which I will do and if I am unsatisfied I will simply have it checked by another shop.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I will agree with anyone that says its not recommended, just passing on what I was told was OK. I stated "JE recommended" rather, I should have said they answered my question. The question was if my cylinders are straight and round and torque plate honed to 3.2480 is that good. The answer was yes.
Assuming the calibration standards used are good along with temperature and I am sure other variables one would assume a size can be achieved with very good precision and repeatability but we all know that's not the reality. At minimum the same micrometer used to measure the piston should be used to calibrate the bore gauge all while at the same temperature ideally. I have the tools to check it again myself which I will do and if I am unsatisfied I will simply have it checked by another shop.
In essence, what happened to me. Machine shop measured the bore with their bore gauge, and we remeasured when they said the block was done. They were off. We then checked at two other shops to compare, and turns out the machine shop did in fact have an issue with their bore gauge.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
In essence, what happened to me. Machine shop measured the bore with their bore gauge, and we remeasured when they said the block was done. They were off. We then checked at two other shops to compare, and turns out the machine shop did in fact have an issue with their bore gauge.

Normally any issues should be caught during the assembly process like this, just shows how cautious you need to be when rebuilding a bottom end, especially for these MQB motors.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I don't work in a machine shop...but how the hell does that happen? That's like working at Subway and forgetting the bread.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't work in a machine shop...but how the hell does that happen? That's like working at Subway and forgetting the bread.

Hell I once had an engine built for a Nissan and to get proper clearances for the valves the shims would be different thicknesses. The machine shop instead used a hand grinder to shorten the valve stems. The engine failed obviously and the valve stems were so unevenly ground you could see with the naked eye they were angled. I won in court but this was supposed to be a reputable machine shop.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
His bore gauge apparently needed recalibration. He would set it to the correct bore diameter, and it would show that it's accurate. We used two other bore gauges and showed him it was off by .002" Needless to say, he cut without charging (obviously) additional fees, and then put his bore gauge away and tagged it for needing recalibrating