GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rearguards-sill and bumper protectors!

Boost1

Ready to race!
I have picked up quite a lot of scratches on the bumper top despite being quite careful with loading. In fact I am a bit unsure where they have all come from. In any case the online comments about rearguard are positive so I have ordered on. I can report back and post high res pics next week or whenever it arrives.

Ronin3

Ready to race!
I bought one for a C Class Mercedes I had before the Golf. Brilliant accessory - mine was black. Once in place it never came loose or looked out of place on the car. A very very minor gripe was that it began to fade.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
VW offer a metal boot sill protector on page 8/9 of this online brochure:

http://imagepool.spruenglidruck.ch/pageflip/vw_pw/d/golf/index.html#/8/

However, I will shortly be attempting a £2 jobby using the modern day equivalent of Fablon on my Mk7 - a self adhesive cover for the sill. I had this in fury black Fablon on a black Mk4. It stayed stuck for 8 years and I sold the car with it still attached.

I have a habit of putting my feet on the sill to tie up my walking boots...

Essjay

Ready to race!
I have picked up quite a lot of scratches on the bumper top despite being quite careful with loading. In fact I am a bit unsure where they have all come from. In any case the online comments about rearguard are positive so I have ordered on. I can report back and post high res pics next week or whenever it arrives.

Thanks Boost, looking forward to reading your report.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I had an RGM protector on my Mk6, an excellent product.

Boost1

Ready to race!
Essay- the rearguard has not arrived yet. I went for black to go on my deep black pearlescent mk7. I am in St Albans if you want to see, though I will need to find time to clean the car and wait for this damned rain to stop before fitting!

Boost1

Ready to race!
VW offer a metal boot sill protector on page 8/9 of this online brochure:

http://imagepool.spruenglidruck.ch/pageflip/vw_pw/d/golf/index.html#/8/

However, I will shortly be attempting a £2 jobby using the modern day equivalent of Fablon on my Mk7 - a self adhesive cover for the sill. I had this in fury black Fablon on a black Mk4. It stayed stuck for 8 years and I sold the car with it still attached.

I have a habit of putting my feet on the sill to tie up my walking boots...

This official vw protector does look quite cool but on closer inspection is stainless steel "look" - so basically €129 for a strip of plastic which is starting to sound a little pricey. Also I think it looks a bit shorter than the rearguard not protecting the far edges of the bumper so well.

Boost1

Ready to race!
OK - a quick update on the rearguards. The order was processed very slowly over new year and I had time to change my mind and opt for a metallic finish instead of the black. This increased the price with delivery to £58. Next I discovered a German supplier who could deliver the official VW lip protector (part no 5G0061195) for £66 (vs £105 UK main dealer price) so I cancelled the rearguard and went for that instead. The quality of the item is great, the "I-can't-believe-it's-not-metal" finish on the plastic is on a par with the SE interior trim, though I hope it is robust enough that it won't itself get scratched! The protector leaves a certain amount of bumper surface still unprotected and a few of the existing scratches are not covered by the protector. As far as the original scratches go I think i have traced it back to the wife and sister in law taking some enormous suitcases to the airport! I am not sure about the overall look of the protector on the vehicle, the prominent ridges feel a bit agricultural rather than sporty, possibly better suited to an SUV? I like that my car stands out slightly since there are so very many mk7's on the road. I wonder if I should have stuck with the black rearguard as originally planned?

Snaptag

Ready to race!
I have the same guard on my black Polo and don't mind the look of it. Keep an eye on whether the boot is rubbing against the protector - mine did because the adhesive failed (probably due to high temperatures in Australia) and slightly damaged the paint on the boot.

Boost1

Ready to race!
Fitting is very straight forward. The kit comes with clear instructions and everything you need :) There is no chance of the boot lid rubbing, lots of clearance!

psquared2

Ready to race!
I was silly enough to have this fitted as part of my order. Does the job very well but no way is it worth the VW
list price of £140!!!!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I'd be inclined to go for the RGM bumper guard, much better value and served me well over the life of my Golf Mk6.

I'm toying with buying on for my Golf Mk7 to prevent claw scratches as Katie Morag seems incapable of staying on the current roll-mat bumper protector.