GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear wiper hesitates/stutters

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
So, I did a search before posting this and decided to post anyway, because my problem seems to be a little different.

I have a 2018 Golf R. The rear wiper started to stutter so I had VW replace it during my first 10k service. When I say "stutter" I mean that as the wiper arm sweeps, it stops for a split second. Then it surges forward. Then it stops for a split second. Then it surges forward. Rinse, repeat. It doesn't "chatter" like it's skipping off the glass nor does it make the classic BBBBBRRRRRRRRRR sound. It's like the wiper gets stuck on the glass, then frees itself, then gets stuck again, then frees itself. Hoping stutter is the right word. Regardless, it's loud and annoying, especially for any passenger in the rear seat.

Figuring it was the overpriced/cheap quality wiper blade provided by VW, I replaced it with a Bosch OEM style wiper blade. Was my only choice. It helped for a bit but now it's doing the same thing. Wondering if it's the wiper motor (not strong enough) or perhaps a spring in the mechanism (again, not strong enough or not the right tension)? I had read something about using some sort of clay compound on the rear glass to help smooth the surface or remove any sort of film/impurities. I use the Rain-X washer fluid so I don't know if that has something to do with it?

I've had a lot of vehicles in my car history with rear wipers and I've never had this kind of problem. Anyone else having this problem and if so, any suggestions on how to remedy? Thanks in advance!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
w/o insulting it may be because the rear window doesn't get real wet in the rain. I find even intermittant doesn't work. I just hit single once in a while.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So, I did a search before posting this and decided to post anyway, because my problem seems to be a little different.

I have a 2018 Golf R. The rear wiper started to stutter so I had VW replace it during my first 10k service. When I say "stutter" I mean that as the wiper arm sweeps, it stops for a split second. Then it surges forward. Then it stops for a split second. Then it surges forward. Rinse, repeat. It doesn't "chatter" like it's skipping off the glass nor does it make the classic BBBBBRRRRRRRRRR sound. It's like the wiper gets stuck on the glass, then frees itself, then gets stuck again, then frees itself. Hoping stutter is the right word. Regardless, it's loud and annoying, especially for any passenger in the rear seat.

Figuring it was the overpriced/cheap quality wiper blade provided by VW, I replaced it with a Bosch OEM style wiper blade. Was my only choice. It helped for a bit but now it's doing the same thing. Wondering if it's the wiper motor (not strong enough) or perhaps a spring in the mechanism (again, not strong enough or not the right tension)? I had read something about using some sort of clay compound on the rear glass to help smooth the surface or remove any sort of film/impurities. I use the Rain-X washer fluid so I don't know if that has something to do with it?

I've had a lot of vehicles in my car history with rear wipers and I've never had this kind of problem. Anyone else having this problem and if so, any suggestions on how to remedy? Thanks in advance!

What did the dealer actually replace? Have you gone back to tell them the problem persists? You shouldn't have to do anything to the glass to help it. I live in Phoenix and it might be 6 months between the times I need to use mine and it works fine.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie

yes, it's the Rain-X washer fluid causing this. Remove the silicone coating that the Rain-X applies and the wiping will get better.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I don’t know about elsewhere but my UK dealer bought genuine VW wiper blades are manufactured by Bosch, and are great quality, as for the stutter/delay, that is not normal, is the nut on your rear wiper done up tightly?? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not!! Have you actually examined it while it’s operating? You might be able to hear the splines slipping, I‘ve only ever used RainX once and it was the first and last time, it’s total shit.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
yes, it's the Rain-X washer fluid causing this. Remove the silicone coating that the Rain-X applies and the wiping will get better.

I don't use the Rain-X washer fluid but I did apply Rain-X to the window and my rear wiper doesn't stick like that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Actually rear wiper is starting to sound funny right about now.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I've had the same issue with the rear wiper shuttering under light or heavy rain. Purchased my GTI Rabbit back in August and I suspect the cause is from the car having sat on the lot from Jan-August in the hot FL sun, causing the blade to be permanently bent in a certain position. The car was built on November 22, 2018.

I came across a TSB for this same issue on Golf models. The warranty should cover is for the first 6 months / 6K miles of ownership if I recall correctly. Need to find the TSB and post it here.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I've had the same issue with the rear wiper shuttering under light or heavy rain. Purchased my GTI Rabbit back in August and I suspect the cause is from the car having sat on the lot from Jan-August in the hot FL sun, causing the blade to be permanently bent in a certain position. The car was built on November 22, 2018.

I came across a TSB for this same issue on Golf models. The warranty should cover is for the first 6 months / 6K miles of ownership if I recall correctly. Need to find the TSB and post it here.
Just put a new blade on it! They’re cheap and very easy to fit..
The OP however states that their wiper doesn’t judder but instead pauses briefly then continues, clearly a different issue.

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
Hi guys, so sorry for not replying sooner. Yes I think I mentioned that I did replace the rear wiper blade and it's still doing it. I checked the mechanism, etc., at least what I know to check and all seems fine. I do use Rain-X washer fluid and per some suggestions here, I was going to replace it with something else to see if the problem stops.

I've been trying to get a video of the actual issue but pretty difficult since it only does it while driving.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Hi guys, so sorry for not replying sooner. Yes I think I mentioned that I did replace the rear wiper blade and it's still doing it. I checked the mechanism, etc., at least what I know to check and all seems fine. I do use Rain-X washer fluid and per some suggestions here, I was going to replace it with something else to see if the problem stops.

I've been trying to get a video of the actual issue but pretty difficult since it only does it while driving.
It was quailallstar that I particularly thought would benefit from a new wiper blade, but changing yours was I good idea also, at least you can rule that out, a video of it happening would be helpful, weird that it only does it when the car is moving though, just to clarify, are you saying the wiper actually pauses mid wipe? Or are you saying it judders but keeps moving?

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
It was quailallstar that I particularly thought would benefit from a new wiper blade, but changing yours was I good idea also, at least you can rule that out, a video of it happening would be helpful, weird that it only does it when the car is moving though, just to clarify, are you saying the wiper actually pauses mid wipe? Or are you saying it judders but keeps moving?

It judders but keeps moving. It's not making a bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound like when a wiper blade rapidly bounces on/off the glass... I guess judder is as good a word as any. It's like the wiper gets stuck on the glass, it frees itself and surges forward, only to get stuck again to be flung forward. It's hard to describe, I really need to get a video.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It judders but keeps moving. It's not making a bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound like when a wiper blade rapidly bounces on/off the glass... I guess judder is as good a word as any. It's like the wiper gets stuck on the glass, it frees itself and surges forward, only to get stuck again to be flung forward. It's hard to describe, I really need to get a video.

Has the wiper arm been bent?

MK7 Mepa

Car(s)
Golf MK7 2.0 TDI

Hi mate, I've got this issue with my MK7.. did you find a fix? I've already replaced the wiper blade