GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Swaybar: H&R 24mm or Superpro 22mm for DD?

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Hi All,

I'm new to the VW community after purchasing a '17 GTI S 6M in November of 2017.

I'm looking to sharpen my daily driven GTI without significantly impacting NVH. Not wanting to lower the ride height yet has led me to the RSB as a first practical step to improving the handling of the car.

With all that in mind, do any of you have personal experience with either the H&R 24mm or Superpro 22MM rear swaybars where you can comment on which is "more appropriate" for my goals?

H&R 24mm (Pros: more noticable change from stock 20mm bar, no grease required on bushings)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-parts/rear-sway-bar-24mm/71787-24~hr/

Superpro 22mm (Pros: Price, adjustability)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superpro-parts/rear-sway-bar-upgrade-kit-22mm/rc0033rz22~spr/

Thanks!

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the H&R 24mm. Would reccomend, although i doubt you would really be able to tell the difference between the two setups. Did not increase nvh at all

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

etmanning

Ready to race!
I run a 25mm bar daily. Brought the car to perfectly neutral and I love it!

I think a 22m would be an upgrade but personally I'd go for the 24. Really either one will be great though, best bang for your buck mod out there!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I went from stock 20mm to the H&R 24mm. Huge improvement even in DD. Check sites other than ECS to see if you can better pricing. I think I bought mine from Tire Rack.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I run the 034 Motorsport 25.4mm bar on the stiffest setting. It's also solid which makes it even stiffer. Probably one of my favorite upgrades to the car.

Edit: I did crack one of the factory plastic end links after about a month on this bar. Moog replacements are metal, are greaseable, and fairly cheap compared to aftermarket end links.

Last edited:
The 3 best mods you can make to a GTI are a big ass rear bar, good tires, and stg 1 tune.

It's the car VW should have sold us.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Thanks all for the feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm more comfortable leaning toward the H&R 24mm and did see that folks were going with the Moog metal end links, so I'll be ordering those separately from RockAuto.

Thanks all for the feedback! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm more comfortable leaning toward the H&R 24mm and did see that folks were going with the Moog metal end links, so I'll be ordering those separately from RockAuto.
Good choice. Might I suggest zero toe in front, -1.8 camber and .06 toe in in the rear to go with that rear bar.

With a good set of tires, that bar and alignment will transform the handling.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I'm biased towards H&R swaybars. The Teflon-impregnated urethane bushings means a no-maintenance, squeak-free performance. Had their RSB on my old Passat. over 150,000 miles on them, and never squeaked.

The superpro doesn't have a zerk fitting, to aid in replenishing the grease (which you need a grease gun with Prothane Super Grease cartridge). So, that means you have to remove the bushings in order to re-grease them.

I'm biased towards H&R swaybars. The Teflon-impregnated urethane bushings means a no-maintenance, squeak-free performance. Had their RSB on my old Passat. over 150,000 miles on them, and never squeaked.

The superpro doesn't have a zerk fitting, to aid in replenishing the grease (which you need a grease gun with Prothane Super Grease cartridge). So, that means you have to remove the bushings in order to re-grease them.
My H&R 26mm has been in both my mk7's and makes zero noise. Ever. Combined about 30k miles