GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway bar install issues?

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Tried that. It was not an issue of connecting the end links but just getting the bar ends over the arm. Not even close and the bar hit the trunk floor.
$140 spent at the shop. I wanted them to do it all along but I had to try since the Mazda's sway bar install I did was easy.
I will say the 25 mm Neuspeed bar did exactly what I expected. Feels the same when cruising but when you're pounding around it really tightens up the chassis.

justaw0rm

I installed my RSB on ramps, a pretty easy DIY job with the right tools. Even in a condo garage.

1. I took out the OEM bar with ends links
2. Installed end links on to the new bar
3. Then bolted in the end links first, then the bar

Zero issues for getting things to fit. The only problem is the driver side carries more "load" and I had two bolts snap when torquing the bar to spec. 30-minute job.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Tried that. It was not an issue of connecting the end links but just getting the bar ends over the arm. Not even close and the bar hit the trunk floor.
$140 spent at the shop. I wanted them to do it all along but I had to try since the Mazda's sway bar install I did was easy.
I will say the 25 mm Neuspeed bar did exactly what I expected. Feels the same when cruising but when you're pounding around it really tightens up the chassis.

Install a FSB and a deadset kit next if you really want to tighten up the chassis :)

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I'm wondering how that would feel. I may have to as I'm still getting plenty of understeer in tighter turns. Any guesses how many hours a shop would charge for that?
How much more jostling over bumps does that introduce?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'm wondering how that would feel. I may have to as I'm still getting plenty of understeer in tighter turns. Any guesses how many hours a shop would charge for that?
Front sway bar requires them to drop the front subframe a little, so it’s a bit more expensive than the rear. I have a 28mm front bar on my car and I love it, but keep in mind it’s not going to reduce understeer, it’s will reduce body roll in a tight turn but will potentially induce more understeer if you are indeed actually feeling understeer.

tires and alignment also play a big roll in how the car feels through turns... what’s your setup look like there?

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
The car is totally stock. Falkin Azenis 660 extreme summer tires 235/40/18 were put on last month and show no wear. They're 10 mm oversize.
Tried 34-38 PSI, now at 37.
As I understand it, a stock car lacks alignment range to make a significant change in understeer. Camber plates are required. Is this correct? What would you recommend?
I might be overstating what feels like understeer. I just was hoping it would hold a tight line better but it is front wheel drive. Taking a late apex, then snapping it in helps.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

$225ish (labor) + $100ish (alignment)

I'm running H&R's 26mm FSB/24mm RSB and I don't feel much of a difference in terms of how my car handles bumps honestly.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I was asking if that alignment is any different than a stock one. My car only has 26,000 miles and tracks straight enough to not need one.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
That guide is for adjustable bars. Mine isn't.
I have the LSD but the only OBD11 setting I've heard of is to increase clamping force on the inside wheel. I don't think that will effect understeer, will it?