GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway bar install issues?

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I was unable to get my new rear sway bar ends into position over the end link spot on the control arms. I got the bar into place without the bushings or end links but still was unable to clear the lower control arms.
Tried unbolting the muffler but the hang up was actually the bar hitting the bottom of the trunk.
Its a '16 GTI Autobahn. Anyone else had a issue?
I had two competent people try as well to no avail.
Sorry, no pics.
I'm having a shop deal with it tomorrow.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Verified it is the right bar. Looks the same and the Part # stamped on is correct. We tried reversing it and that didn't help clear the front edge of the arms.
Its almost like you'd want to unbolt and drop the arms down but I've yet to hear anyone doing that. I've watched videos too.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Just curious, is your suspension loaded while you're attempting to do the install? I recall reading that makes RSB fitting easier. Could be dead wrong.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
We tried jacking up a tire and that allowed us to get the bar in place but the ends were still hitting the arms, couldn't swing them up and over into the end link area. The arms need to drop down, not up but they're all the way down with the wheels in the air.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Bar doesn't require any additional parts to be swapped? If you have access to ramps or a inclined driveway, maybe try with both tires (full rear suspension) loaded. Can't offer any other tips without some pictures. Curious to hear what the shop has to say, do let us know!

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
The OEM bushing mounts are reused and I'm using the stock end links per Neuspeed's advice. I hate giving up but I even had a knowledgeable MK6 guy off the Local Facebook VW group come by. He clearly knew what he was doing and after an hour he was stuck too. .

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I installed the Neuspeed 25 mm rear bar on my 17 GTI without any problems. It required a little bit of finagling but it went in. The car was up on ramps so the suspension was loaded and I had to drop the exhaust a little but that was it. I used the Neuspeed endlinks and Neuspeed mounts.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Yeah I figured it must be something I'm missing. All the Videos and instructions say to jack it, no mention of ramps. Sounds like that's wrong. Also the ride height sensor gets in the way. I have ramps but every time I try and use them they slide. how do you like the bar? Was it a big difference?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I installed an ST bar with the car on ramps. The exhaust had to come down, but it was a fairly easy job. Tightened everything on the ramps and no issues so far. Car will rotate through tight corners now and far less body roll. The ride does feel different over bumps, but not worse. Feels more solid.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Yeah I figured it must be something I'm missing. All the Videos and instructions say to jack it, no mention of ramps. Sounds like that's wrong. Also the ride height sensor gets in the way. I have ramps but every time I try and use them they slide. how do you like the bar? Was it a big difference?
[/QUOTE
I have a set of Race Ramps and they don't slide. Yeah it takes a little bit on maneuvering to get it past the sensor. Yeah I like the changes to handling that the bar made, flatter and rotated better through corners. Haven't noticed a change in ride quality.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I was lazy and tried to squeeze it in without lowering the exhaust.....ended up wasting alot of time. Once the exhaust comes down a bit, it should slip into place really easy.

Just make sure to align the brackets with the OEM one beforehand to make it easier to line up. Ramps is the way to go with this one.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
What bar and what endlinks?