GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway Bar + Endlinks Inquiry

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just don't want it too neutral and oversteer in the wet and snow when my mom and sister drives it. But I guess that's where ESC would come in and save the day.

If it's just wet it will handle the same as dry conditions. If it's snow or ice all bets are off as speed will determine where it slides. I wouldn't count on ESC saving the day on ice or snow.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly, I have a lowered suspension and I have to try to get the rear to swing around! Lots of fun on icy parking lots (empty). So, in real world terms, the RSB shouldn't make any difference to the handling characteristics in snow or rain or low traction environments. I really do appreciate your concern for your family driving the car but I would think they wouldn't know its there unless they drive it like they stole it.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
You’re asking all the right questions here regarding adding a rear sway bar. I’ve been driving with the 27mm “Race” Nuespeed bar for over 60k miles and overall have been happy with this setup. Read my review here:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mm-race-series-rear-swaybar-and-links.321607/
I have never found the handling balance to be dangerous. Ride quality has suffered though, the rear end is just stiffer, especially driving in a straight line when the sway bar isn’t loaded. That’s in part the reason why I just purchased EQT coilovers a few days ago with the goal of obtaining a similar handling balance but with improved ride quality. Also what pushed me into making this purchase after contemplating coilovers for years is my front suspension is noticeably worn out. I also like that this kit allows you to run stock ride height.

My advice is that a stiffer rear sway bar and grippier tires are probably the least expensive way to improve the driving experience of your car.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
FYI, the eibach usa bar is 25mm OD and 6.4mm thick (info from eibach usa). This would be a equivalent to about a 24.6mm solid bar.

Too many people only compare OD and not hollow tube thickness mistakenly ranking stiffness incorrectly.

I have been running eibach 25mm with moog end-links for over a year. My only issue is some squeaking when cold but that is me being too lazy to re-grease the brushing.

Rain and snow stability are fine and i have a softer golf front sway bar stock with my GSW.

Upgraded end-links are unnecessary/expensive unless you are racing allot and/or corner-weighting. The only reason i run moog is they are cheaper than OE (i didn't want to wrestle the rusted factory ones off) being metal is a nice piece of mind but overkill.

-Jonathan

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I just bought the Eibach rear and the Moog endlinks. The bar was about $160shipped, endlinks about $45. I can’t imagine spending 50% more for just the bar is going to improve things that much.

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
H&R 24mm rear bar here. Daily driven and no issues using stock end links for a few thousand miles now. I’ll update to Moog if I notice any issues.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
25mm ST RSB with SuperPro endlinks, almost 50k miles, no issues. Only thing I may get are the Neuspeed bushings in place of the soft ST ones. No issues, however.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I installed the 034 Motorsports 25.4mm adjustable RSB using the soft position and Moog links last spring and have been daily driving and autocrossing it ever since. Made the car much more neutral when corning and made no noticeable changes to the drivability, even in winter driving conditions. Highly recommend this combination.
A word of caution when installing a RSB: the bolt connecting the end link and the bar is too close to the spring to be able to get even a crows-foot open-end wrench with a torque wrench on the bolt to properly torque the nut & bolt. (You can't get at the nut either with proper tools.) You have to use hand tools to tighten this nut & bolt and it needs to be tight! Failure to tighten it properly will result in clunks with the slightest suspension movement. It has to be tightened with the wheel loaded too. I use ramps under the rear wheels when tightening these fasteners.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
I installed the ST rear bar ($155 shipped) and reused the stock end links with the intent of upgrading to Moog's when they wear out, suspension is otherwise stock. From what I could gather from the various forums the ST RSB is on the lighter side of stiffness: more OEM+ than straight performance. It makes a noticeable difference in daily driving but if I push it too hard the under steer rears it's ugly head so I have no worries about my wife or other family members swapping ends while driving the GTI! Just making the daily drive more fun and upgrading as parts wear out.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I have an H&R 26mm with Moog endlinks for sale. ?

If it would fit my new R then I'd be keeping it. It was one of my fav mods on my 15 gti.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I installed the ST rear bar ($155 shipped) and reused the stock end links with the intent of upgrading to Moog's when they wear out, suspension is otherwise stock. From what I could gather from the various forums the ST RSB is on the lighter side of stiffness: more OEM+ than straight performance. It makes a noticeable difference in daily driving but if I push it too hard the under steer rears it's ugly head so I have no worries about my wife or other family members swapping ends while driving the GTI! Just making the daily drive more fun and upgrading as parts wear out.

I used the stock endlinks on a 25mm Neuspeed bar I had installed last week. I asked when I got the bar and was told that I can use my stock endlinks with a 25mm bar. As long as you don't go too big on the swaybar...the stock links will be fine.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Another 2cents: stock suspension, 25mm Neuspeed rear bar with Neuspeed endlinks and Clamps. Really changed the way the car reacts.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have 26mm H&R. It didn't make the car tail happy. I doubt smaller bars are enough.

Autocrossed for 2 years on this bar with 26mm rsb and stock end links. They didn't brake.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I have 26mm H&R. It didn't make the car tail happy. I doubt smaller bars are enough.

Autocrossed for 2 years on this bar with 26mm rsb and stock end links. They didn't brake.
Ditto on that. I think I put the sway bar on the car 3rd into my ownership and 75k miles later I was still on the stock end links and same bar when I sold the car...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ditto on that. I think I put the sway bar on the car 3rd into my ownership and 75k miles later I was still on the stock end links and same bar when I sold the car...

I did have a friend with lowering springs and RSB brake stock endlinks though. I replaced the stock ones when I lowered the car as a precaution.

I don't think most people understand that a big rear bar on these cars doesn't make them tail happy, the closer you get to zero toe in the rear makes the car more tail happy. Big bar + zero rear toe is tail happy. Big rear bar and even a little toe in is not tail happy.