GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway Bar + Endlinks Inquiry

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Went ST 25mm rear with Moog endlinks. Super easy install, only issue is 100 or so miles after install I got a clunk/bang/pop from the right rear. Had to retighten end link to sway bar connection, no issues since. If it happens again, easily fixed with a little loctite blue.

From what i've read, the Golf/GTI/R cannot replace FSB without having to do camber and other suspension adjustments. Not sure how this applies to Alltrack/GSW, but I would assume it'd be the same as the wheel bases are the same, it's just the body thats longer.

I had 40k on the car, stock endlinks looks good other than the OEM rubber starting to kinda crack and rise on the surface. Imagine fuzz bits on a wool sweater I suppose? Doesn't look to affect the overall performance. though for under 50 bucks, Moogs looked like an easy swap with the bar for me.

Edit: The ST 25mm FWD bar has no-maintenance bushings. You do not have to grease them, and i've heard no issues from the bushing since install. Looks like they have Teflon tape or similar on them.

Could also look into the ECS RSB rear brace too if you want to stiffen up the rear end even more. Though I'm personally looking at Shock tower, or mid-under braces like ECS shield or the Isweep mid brace.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/rear-subframe-brace-clear-anodized/020802ecs02kt/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-street-shield-tunnel-brace/022446ecs01-01kt/
https://www.urotuning.com/products/...vw-8v-audi-is-ccfbf-g7?variant=13544107933751

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Honestly, there's really no reason to not go with the biggest rsb you can find.

I had the h&r 26mm rsb with Moog endlinks in my Mk7 gti and absolutely loved it. No noise, no harshness, way better handling and less body roll.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
After installing my 25mm, I was curious how much more something like the Nuespeed 27mm might change things. Though I love what the 25mm has done for the body roll so far.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI

I had the h&r 26mm rsb with Moog endlinks in my Mk7 gti and absolutely loved it. No noise, no harshness, way better handling and less body roll.

Uh yeah there definitely is a reason not to go as big as you can. Lift off oversteer or undesired oversteer on a highway ramp causing a major accident or being a one car wonder.

And don't tell me "well that hasn't happened" because yeah you haven't experienced it yet, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Once again I will restate, people are way overdoing it with their swaybars.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
From what i've read, the Golf/GTI/R cannot replace FSB without having to do camber and other suspension adjustments. Not sure how this applies to Alltrack/GSW, but I would assume it'd be the same as the wheel bases are the same, it's just the body thats longer.

You can do a FSB without doing camber and other adjustments, it will just likely cause the car to push more. *technically* you can do it, but not the best idea.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

I agree with this. I have the 034 rear sway bar set on max stiff and rest of suspension stock other than chassis braces, and I wish it was more stiff. it is very very hard to lift off oversteer so bad that you spin a fwd car like an mk7 given how much weight is in the nose. it is honestly hard to get lift off oversteer or oversteer going in on the brakes even when trying to do it on purpose playing around

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I agree with this. I have the 034 rear sway bar set on max stiff and rest of suspension stock other than chassis braces, and I wish it was more stiff. it is very very hard to lift off oversteer so bad that you spin a fwd car like an mk7 given how much weight is in the nose. it is honestly hard to get lift off oversteer or oversteer going in on the brakes even when trying to do it on purpose playing around
On a stock car it can be hard, a lot of people around here have done ESC off mods and XDS mods as well and with those settings changed, you can get the car to swing out pretty easily. I'd say it's a YMMV scenario

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Uh yeah there definitely is a reason not to go as big as you can. Lift off oversteer or undesired oversteer on a highway ramp causing a major accident or being a one car wonder.

And don't tell me "well that hasn't happened" because yeah you haven't experienced it yet, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Once again I will restate, people are way overdoing it with their swaybars.

When my car was set up for GS, I had toe out front, zero toe rear and 26mm RSB, it was loose in dynamic, but with ESC on, it would very effectively kill all your fun, even in the rain. So yeah, you can make the car loose, but the nannies make it a non-issue when fully on in street driving, IMO. Where you get into trouble is either disabling ESC or using dynamic on the street with a loose setup.

Last edited: