GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Suspension Noise

Nyulak

Ready to race!
I see some folks have had issues with a knocking sound from the rear that could be attributed to the OEM dampers and possibly some other cause. I just developed this knocking sound yesterday, but I had my shocks swapped to B8s last November along with new OEM shock mounts and a Whiteline sway bar kit (already had the MSS springs for about two years). I put my car on a lift yesterday and could not find anything that was outright faulty. The only weirdness was from the endlinks both pointing in the same direction with the suspension drooping. I did record a clip on my drive home and you can hear the knocking at about 9, 16, 20, and 24 seconds. Would anyone be able to help with possible causes before I take it into the mechanic? It sounds like it is coming from the right rear of the vehicle and I suspect the shock mount, but I don't really have the experience to say for sure.

I am also looking into getting a sub-frame locking kit to help remove that as a source and I did buy the Audi damper, but I haven't installed it, yet.

IMG_1384.pngIMG_1385.png

Nyulak

Ready to race!
Well, it took a while to get everything done, but the sound was coming from the OEM end links. Replaced them with a set of Whiteline adjustable end links and I now have a suspension that doesn’t knock.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
Well, it took a while to get everything done, but the sound was coming from the OEM end links. Replaced them with a set of Whiteline adjustable end links and I now have a suspension that doesn’t knock.
Hey Dude! I just got the whiteline end links in the mail but I have no directions on how to install them properly (specifically where to put the washers). if you have a link to anything or a pic of how you put them on it would help so much, thank you!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
There is noise generated when the damper rod hits the metal edge of the upper damper mount that the rod fixes to....only way to calm the noise is to fit heat shrink tubing etc over the rod at the top when replacing the damper....

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
There is noise generated when the damper rod hits the metal edge of the upper damper mount that the rod fixes to....only way to calm the noise is to fit heat shrink tubing etc over the rod at the top when replacing the damper....
Do you have some evidence on this? Because that rear-end clunk which on motortalk.de has 192 pages of discussion where the people have tried from end link, shocks (b6 green, yellow or B4s) is driving me crazy.
Yesterday I changed end links but the clunk is still there. Next thing I was planning to do was to remove shocks and test drive with them on the parking lot just to identify is the problem really with them. Also should not he bump stops prevent that much side movement of shock shaft that it touches edge of shock mount?

EDIT:
To the topic author, glad you have resolved your problem but your end links were mounted wrong that was clear from the picture because end links body needs to be perpendicular to the wishbone when it is mounted properly.

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I had creaking noises driving me nuts coming from the passenger side rear.

Thought it would maybe be an Endlink or shock mount. Aftermarket rear swaybar and shock/springs back there, so it was a possibility something may be a bit loosened either from the install or over time.

Torqued every bolt related to the suspension at that corner to be doubly sure everything was nice n tight and the squeaking/creaking was still there! Turned out to be simply the rear seat back latch needed some grease!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you have some evidence on this? Because that rear-end clunk which on motortalk.de has 192 pages of discussion where the people have tried from end link, shocks (b6 green, yellow or B4s) is driving me crazy.
Yesterday I changed end links but the clunk is still there. Next thing I was planning to do was to remove shocks and test drive with them on the parking lot just to identify is the problem really with them. Also should not he bump stops prevent that much side movement of shock shaft that it touches edge of shock mount?

EDIT:
To the topic author, glad you have resolved your problem but your end links were mounted wrong that was clear from the picture because end links body needs to be perpendicular to the wishbone when it is mounted properly.

There was a big thread back in 2014 on here hen & UK bloke had the same problem & managed to track it down...put if you jack the car up & hit the rear dampers it'll make the same noise..

These are the websites he created...he did eventually solve it & also he fitted the Audi rear harmonic damper (my how to guide)...& noted it solved some other noises....up its mainly the damper rod to top strut clearance (internal)..metal on metal..

VW Golf Mk7 Problems

VW Golf GTI MK7 Rear Suspension Noise - Resolved - YouTube

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
my nvh butt dyno tells me that larger bars with poly bushings amplify noise with the rear axle, compared to oe bar and bushing.

Never thought of it until I installed my superpro solid bar. First thing I noticed before I could drive somewhere to push the car around.

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Sorry to resurect

I have this problem. Someone mentioned the sound was coming from the top mount. Ìs it knocking on itView attachment 295146
FWIW-
It's an issue with the strut itself--
To eliminate the knock replace your OE struts with
Bilstein OEM replacement rear shock absorbers Type B4-- Part Number 19-230559.
BLS19-230559B4 REAR SHOCK ABSORBER
I had this issue back in 2019 and the strut replacement was the cure. I too thought the problem was with the upper mount,

petro1head

Car(s)
golf gt
FWIW-
It's an issue with the strut itself--
To eliminate the knock replace your OE struts with
Bilstein OEM replacement rear shock absorbers Type B4-- Part Number 19-230559.
BLS19-230559B4 REAR SHOCK ABSORBER
I had this issue back in 2019 and the strut replacement was the cure. I too thought the problem was with the upper mount,
I have replied them with the B4 but the knock continues