GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise - are you affected?

Is your Mk7 Golf affected by rear suspension noise - Yes/No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dadu

Ready to race!
Yeap, it's noissy but I can leave with it, especially after 7 years in a 207. :D

Stripey

Ready to race!
2.0 tdi GT automatic - no suspension issues here, even after driving over speed bumps and massive pot holes every day for the last 9 months.

tom_uk

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read in another forum that the problem only affects cars with the multi-link rear suspension. Does anyone know if that's the case? And following on from that, is it known which cars have got which suspension?

DW58

Go Kart Champion
AFAIK, the only cars without multi-link are the S models, plus SE 1.6 TDI and Bluemotion.

It's interesting that the problem doesn't necessarily manifest itself even in early-production Mk7 cars, get very recent examples (e.g. Rf860's GTD) are showing it already.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I've been almost paranoid listening out for noise, but thankfully it's very quiet. Even after putting on the winter tyres - I was expecting these to be noisier - the car is still amazingly quiet, much more so than my Mk6. I don't know how much of the lack of noise is down to the Mk7 design and how much is the lovely Conti tyres, I know the Bridgestone Turanzas on my Mk6 were responsible for considerable noise.

tom_uk

Passed Driver's Ed
AFAIK, the only cars without multi-link are the S models, plus SE 1.6 TDI and Bluemotion.

Hmm - S or SE are just trim levels, aren't they? For example, the 1.4 TSI 122 is available in both S and SE trims, and I can't imagine that they'd have different suspensions. Similarly the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI cars are available in more than one trim level.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm - S or SE are just trim levels, aren't they? For example, the 1.4 TSI 122 is available in both S and SE trims, and I can't imagine that they'd have different suspensions. Similarly the 1.6 and 2.0 TDI cars are available in more than one trim level.

The basic spec models have torsion beam rear suspension.

DW58

Go Kart Champion

Maybe it's the 1.2 TSi, lower powered 1.4TSi and 1.6 TDI then - I'm certainly open to correction.

I know for certain that my 1.4TSi 122PS SE has the Multi-link suspension.

Rf860

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I hear noise but not sure if its the potenzas

I have those tyres as well, but I doubt it would be that.

My old seat Ibiza had the same problem and I took it back under warranty and the dealer replaced the rear shock mounts and this cured the problem.

My theory is that it's to do with the rear dampers, more specifically, the damper dust covers moving up and down when the rear suspension is doing a lot of work.