GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension noise - are you affected?

Is your Mk7 Golf affected by rear suspension noise - Yes/No?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thelister

Passed Driver's Ed
It seems like a lot of those who have posted are in Europe (UK more specifically), anyone in Canada/US have this issue (since we have a different plant)?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
So I can say our car was made in germany (estate car!), whilst a lot of the owners with the problems here probably had their car made in Mexico (hatchbacks). Anyone able to nail it down .. ? Do we have a "where was your clunky car made?" poll?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I think Dr Mat makes a very valid point as it does appear that more UK owners are reporting the issue. Also interesting know where the shock absorbers are manufactured. Are they the German Sachs shipped to Mexico or are they manufactured elsewhere or are they a different make?

I now feel that my 3rd set of rattlers are contributing to a deteriorating ride quality. Right now the car sounds like an empty Ford Transit.

Tomorrow is my big day when Mr Brian Kattenberg from the executive office of VWUK is supposed to be making me an offer where I can swap my car for one fitted with DCC, but at what cost to me?VW If they think I am paying a penny more then think again VW as I have endured 7-months of driving displeasure and therefore, VW you owe me something in return. If anyone in the UK has a problem then send him an email at executive.office@volkswagen.co.uk. Lets give these people a hard time as that is what they are giving us. in my view its a waste of time talking to the dealer as its VWUK and Germany that need to pull their fingers out and actually do something about a problem that was originally reported 2-years ago.

If the promise made last week of receiving a proposal by end of tomorrow I will upload a very small website that VW will definetly not wish to see because I will be telling the whole sad story of incompetence by VW to rectify this problem for once and for all.

Already today I have received two emails from other owners who have the same issues so when I hear that I am the only person to report such a problem I know that is BS.

If anyone want to email me for more info then do so richard@fuelboss.co.uk

Oh, by the way, I think a visit to my local Trading Standards Office here in Wiltshire might be worth talking to. Then there is Watchdog of course.

Just this morning I have sent an email off to the dealer and to the Executive Office at VW and I have asked these questions,
----------------------------------------------
1. What guarantee can Volkswagen give me that the safety and roadworthiness of my car has not been compromised as a result of this suspension issue?
2. What guarantee can Volkswagen give me that the shock absorbers are operating correctly and as designed, despite the noise level that without doubt increases from the time replacements are fitted?

Given the fact that I am certainly not an isolated case and I have plenty of proof to that effect. Is it not time for VW to become more proactive in resolving this issue, because from my experience to date I have the view that no one really wants to get to grips and find a solution. VW as a company, in my opinion, appear to be fundamentally disinterested and clueless as to what to do, apart from changing various components that for many owners does nothing to resolve their problem.

One must obviously question the operation and proper function of these components in view of the increasing level of noise they produce and therefore I would like assurances in writing as soon as possible please.

I wonder what sort of reply that will bring?

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
FWIW a friend of mine in Germany recently chatted about his 2014 GTi Mk7. He's giving it back to the dealer.. formally requested a refund. One of the things he mentions is that they have never fixed his clunking rear suspension .. with DCC ..

However he's also had a plethora of creaks and rattles; followed by a fuel pump failure at 269 kph .. and now the car runs rough all the time. They reckon it has bad valve sealing..

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Golf MK7 GTI formally rejected 10/06/2015

After 8 months of listening to the rear shock absorber racket and where my GTI is on its 4th set of shocks I could not recommend a GTI car to anyone based upon my experience, unless fitted with DCC.

June 4th 2015: Its official, well according to a customer service manager at the executive office of VWUK - the Golf MK7 rear suspension noise is a characteristic of the model. Really - so why did they bother to change the shock absorbers 3 times in 6,500 miles and why don’t they tell me this before I parted with my money, why don’t they put this in the brochure.

I have now formally rejected the car and have been offered 3 options by the VWUK Executive Office. The last offer of vouchers was adding insult to injury considering the cost and inconvenience and lack of driving pleasure.

This is the content of my letter today to the executive office. Somehow I feel this could go down the financial ombudsman's route but I am prepared, as I have that much evidence of this long standing problem that for many owners is unfixable.

Wednesday, 10 June 2015
For the attention of: Mr

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx,

As you will be aware, I have had what I presume to be your proposals emailed to me via xxxxx VW that I have had time to consider and now I would like to comment.

Within that email it is mentioned that the noise from the suspension is a “characteristic” of the model. If this is the official position from Volkswagen Germany then prove it to me by emailing me a copy of the correspondence received from Germany that details this. I think I am entitled to know when this became the official line as obviously, there must have been a time when VW actually decided that they could not fix the issue and therefore had no other course of action but to redefine this fault as a “characteristic”. The dealer stating in an email to me this morning that "the Executive office will not elaborate further" is confirmation that you do not want to show your hand hand or put anything on record directly.

If you consider the noise is a “characteristic” of the Model, then who decided this and when was this deemed a “characteristic”?. Does VW Germany go along with that view or is it just a personal view or that of VWUK as a company? I don’t even have proof that original proposal came from anyone else but xxxx VW and that is not wholly satisfactory. One would have thought that VWUK could have made a more official proposal in perhaps the form of a word document with official letter heading and signature. I therefore formally advise you that I confirm my rejection of the vehicle and request a refund. If the offer is unsatisfactory then that will leave me no alternative to but to commence the process through the financial ombudsman. The question over the details and date of VW’s official position of this so-called “characteristic” of the vehicle will be questioned in my complaint.

The financial ombudsman made it quite clear in the report relating to a MR E who complained of the same issue last year, that he was persuaded that the issue is a recognised manufacturing fault. The adjudicator last year also concluded that this issue was an inherent fault. He made no mention of it being a “characteristic”. So when does a fault become a “characteristic”, only when it’s convenient to do so by Volkswagen. Therefore I was sold a vehicle with a recognised manufacturing fault an inherent fault.

Given the ombudsman’s assessment of the same complaint from MR E last year then they already have a little on the history of this suspension issue relating to this model and will therefore look upon my issue very favourably, particularly given the amount of evidence that I am able to produce. As I am sure you will agree that a swift and satisfactory resolution to this long running issue is now required otherwise this will leave me with little option but to withhold payments and initiate legal proceedings?

Yours sincerely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bvS3g2vXFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3-8Ib4k_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1cLNtr75Y

I know very well that I am not alone with this issue so if anyone wants more information from me then please PM me or email me at richard@fuelboss.co.uk.

http://vwgolfmk7problems.uk/ VW in my opinion deserve negative publicity over there failure to come clean about this issue and my full story is being published in as many places as possible on the web. This website will have more content added shortly.

email received this morning 11/06/2015 form another dissatisfied owner. The name has been withheld for obvious reasons.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me. It sounds like you have had a pretty rough deal with your car and I would be very interested to know the final outcome. Not really what we expect is it when we buy a premium product from a reputable manufacturer??!

I have just called VWUK customer services this morning and am awaiting a call back. As I said earlier, my car is now on the 3rd set of shocks and 2nd set of top mounts. I like you have wracked my brain over this issue, taking everything out of the boot, driving at different speeds on different road types etc. The amount of phone calls and trips to my local dealer in xxxxxx has been quite consuming but the worst of it is I do not get the enjoyment from driving my car that I should and this is the bit that pisses me off the most. I know it should be a hard ride but not noisy… My previous GTi MkV was silent even after 80k miles.

Well I will let you know the outcome when it moves to the next stage. No doubt they will be cagey and dismissive of the issue and simply arrange for more shockers to be fitted.

How many are there out there with the same issue?

Interesting to read this morning that another owner has rejected their car.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
The Rear Suspension noise goes on

Do you have a rear suspension noise that has been diagnosed as a shock absorber issue. Have you had your shock absorbers replaced only to find the noise returns. Are you unhappy with the way Volkswagen are dealing with this.

If you are then why not email me

I am frequently receiving private messages and emails from dissatisfied owners within the UK who have the rear shock absorber noise and who are as dissatisfied as I am with the attitude of VWUK in resolving the issue.

If you have this issue and you are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving or if you feel you are banging your head against a brick wall then please email me at richard@fuelboss.co.uk

Your name and email address I can assure you will not be published by me on the web or indeed anywhere else. I am now at the final stage of rejecting my car and would be happy to share my experience with you.

I have just recently published a small website called vwgolfmk7problems.uk

The website after 2 weeks, is already featuring in the top 2 pages of Google and I am intent on publishing the issue that has afflicted so many Golf MK7 owners. I wish to warn prospective buyers that this shock absorber noise can be a problem so buyer beware. I am in touch with a number of owners who are essentially being fobbed off and dismissed by VWUK as having a car that has no problem. This is complete and utter BS and they know it.

The more I can highlight this the greater the chance that VWUK will sit-up and deal with us in the proper manner. If you have been told that the noise is a characteristic of the model then please let me know. Its not a characteristic, it is a faulty component.

I was told by the executive office of VWUK that the noise was a characteristic after 3 sets of shock absorbers were replaced. Who decided that? Was it VWUK, VW Germany or someone sitting in his office in Milton Keynes who now conveniently decides that a fault now becomes a characteristic of the model, simply because they cant cure it.

28/06/2015. The last email from the VWUK Executive Office now calls the noise a residual noise. This is clear BS.

I reject the notion that my car has what Mr Kattenberg at the executive office now refers to as a "residual noise", where he is implying that the majority of the noise has been eliminated but what gives an office in Milton Keynes the right to say that. In fact the opposite is true as the noise is the same as originally reported last September and in fact may actually be worse. The only time there is residual noise and that is immediately after shock absorbers have been replaced but after that brief period of time we end up back at square one, just as others report.

Fortunately an independent test assessment of the issue will now be carried out by DEKRA and I eagerly await the outcome of that report as do many other owners.

Last edited:

Arek

There seems to be a spelling error in the address above. The correct one is:

vwgolfmk7problems.uk

I'm from Poland and I'm an owner of 1,4 TSI golf with a lowered suspension. I've been following this thread here for a few months now, as my mk7 also suffers from the rattling noise. I was hoping to find good news here that the fix is finally available, but so far only bad news.
I had my rear shock absorbers replaced once, but the noise returned. Now I regret buying the 17" alloy wheels with the lowered suspension, as my father's mk7 1,2 TSI with a standard suspension is a lot quieter. I hoped that VW will quickly find a fix for this issue, but I am pretty disappointed with how they deal with it. Working in the automotive industry with development projects, I can't believe that it is not possible to fix this problem. To me it seems they know how to solve it, but the costs would be way too high, so until they have their backs to the wall, they will not offer a real fix.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
There seems to be a spelling error in the address above. The correct one is:

vwgolfmk7problems.uk

I'm from Poland and I'm an owner of 1,4 TSI golf with a lowered suspension. I've been following this thread here for a few months now, as my mk7 also suffers from the rattling noise. I was hoping to find good news here that the fix is finally available, but so far only bad news.
I had my rear shock absorbers replaced once, but the noise returned. Now I regret buying the 17" alloy wheels with the lowered suspension, as my father's mk7 1,2 TSI with a standard suspension is a lot quieter. I hoped that VW will quickly find a fix for this issue, but I am pretty disappointed with how they deal with it. Working in the automotive industry with development projects, I can't believe that it is not possible to fix this problem. To me it seems they know how to solve it, but the costs would be way too high, so until they have their backs to the wall, they will not offer a real fix.

Spelling mistake corrected for website url and email address. Also an update from VW Executive office.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I have written so much on this issue recently that I may already mentioned this in a previous post.

My GTI will be having an independent inspection by DEKRA UK on the 20th of July as arranged and paid for by VW Finance. They will come to my home and test the car with me alongside so I can take the tester over the kind of roads that highlight the noise.

I imagine there will be a number of owners who have this issue who will be as interested as I am to see whether DEKRA considers my shock absorbers to have a fault.

I should have the report a few days after the test and then I will post the results on the forum.

Davemac

Hi ,
that's interesting. You might be finally getting somewhere. Your web site might have stirred VW up a bit. I look forward to seeing your results. I'm still waiting for my local dealership to get back to me.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I can post up Etos pics tomorrow of my car rear suspension to see what the break down of components are and the part numbers. its a non DCC Gti 2014

*Edit
As you can see the rear system is very basic, with only a nut, top mount bearing, bump stop and dust cover. Nothing else is in the shock system to cause any noise, so it seems likely it's the top mount as the other components couldn't cause the noise. I couldn't see the mentioned nylon,rubber part at the top that it seems a dealer has mentioned. It appears the shock with "GL" part number has been available since 25-11-2013, but the top nut change took place on the 27-01-2014. I wonder what the dealers are actually fitting if this info is correct??

Off topic part #22 covers the rear axle on either side, stone guard? I'm sure this isn't on my car. Wonder if it also helps to smooth air flow?

If anyone wants to send me a gti DCC reg i can check if the top mounts are the same.

I did try this in a separate post but it doesn't want to add any further posts, any ideas?

Last edited:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Is this still an issue on new Golfs? Should I go for torsion beam or independent? Quite tempted by TB as. Just about nothing to go wrong!

ZKK007

Ready to race!
I just started devloping a slight click from what sounds like my rear right side. I have only really noticed it when I first set off. I thought it was the brakes or a bearing at first but I could not replicate it on a smooth road unless I stop and set off again. Does this sound like the same issue you all are dealing with?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk