GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear subframe swap

ncsteinb

So, I got this crazy idea in my head to swap a Golf R rear subframe assembly into a Golf TDI. Is this feasible? Has this swap been done?

Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If you have a hatch the spare wheel well is deeper on the 2wd compared to the AWD (R)......& if you have the torsion beam rear axle the top mounts for the springs are in a slightly different place compared to the multilink suspension. I know this as another person on here contacted me as they had huge problems trying to convert torsion beam to multilink..& it wasn't until I went through all the rear body panels & their PR codes that I found the exact differences in panels!....

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
sounds crazy

Not really......in fact the easiest to convert is the estate from 2wd multilink to full blown AWD (R).......as the bodyshell is exactly the same!.....& I was planning on doing it & found a nice donor manual R....(estate is DSG only in R)....anyway didn't have the time for it, but there is a person on here who did do it...

kelsheikh

Car(s)
Octavia 3
If you have a hatch the spare wheel well is deeper on the 2wd compared to the AWD (R)......& if you have the torsion beam rear axle the top mounts for the springs are in a slightly different place compared to the multilink suspension. I know this as another person on here contacted me as they had huge problems trying to convert torsion beam to multilink..& it wasn't until I went through all the rear body panels & their PR codes that I found the exact differences in panels!....
Hello golfdave,

can you illustrate more
is it impossible to do the swap?

or can it be done?

what will I need to change?

thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello golfdave,

can you illustrate more
is it impossible to do the swap?

or can it be done?

what will I need to change?

thank you

What are you wanting to swap???? 2wd to 4wd???

or just torsion beam to multilink?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
To swap from 2WD torsion beam to 2WD multilink

you need to remove this from your car:-
1637844746226.png

& fit this:-

1637844678094.png

You also need to alter the mounting on the body for the top of the springs as its in a slightly different place, unless you buy expensive coil-over rear dampers/springs..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just torsion beam to multilink on my golf 7

was planning a awd swap on my skoda octavia mk3 2015 as well

What is your Octavia?..torsion or multilink??

The MKIII Octavia has more torsion beam version cars than AWD

Parts drawing for the rear bodywork for the 2WD PR code = 1X0
floor plates; spars; wheel housing inner part - Octavia(OCT) [EUROPA 2015 year] (7zap.com)

Parts drawing for the rear bodywork for the AWD PR code = 1X1
bottom plate; spars; wheel housing inner part - Octavia(OCT) [EUROPA 2015 year] (7zap.com)

Although the AWD has a two part boot floor & in theory the spare wheel well should be far enough away from the rear axle (like the Mk7 Golf estate) the AWD should fit (besides the top perch for the springs). However there may be differences so I'm not 100% certain..

2WD multilink MK7 Golf estate to AWD is very easy, all the bodywork is the same...I looked at doing it in 2014 & others have done it since then..