GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear seat fold lever

JustMtnB44

I had this same thing happen and after it being this way for months I finally fixed it! I'll describe what I did to hopefully help anyone else with this issue.

While I read the posts above about people just pulling really hard to remove the trim piece, that did not work for me.
This guide is sort of useful, but took a while to figure out exactly how to get everything apart.
http://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_installing_trim_for_locking_mechanism-997.html

Remove the seat back carpeting in the area of the latch by pulling it up, it is only held down with a sitcky adhesive.
Then you can remove the seat side fabric by using a flat screwdriver to pry it out of the u channel that is is snapped in to.

I was then able to use plastic trim tools to hold the seat cover out of the way while I used a pick with a hook on the end to release the tab as shown in the guide. Important: in order to see what you are doing, you will have to get in the car to release the tab on the inside edge of the cover. I struggled for a while until I figured that out, as you can barely see down in the gap.

Once both tabs have been released, you can simply pull the cover off, then simply reattach it by sliding is straight down onto the latch mechanism.

I think the reason the cover gets pushed up and stuck there is when something catches the rear edge it makes the cover deflect about the two fastening tabs which causes these rear posts circled in yellow to slide up and come out of their mating feature, which is why the cover can't just be pushed down again.