GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Passenger Hinge Rusting - Squeak

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hey guys, this morning I had the chance to be welcomed by the sound of a squeak when I opened the rear driver side door to throw my bag in the back. Furthermore, I look at the hinge, and it appears to be rusting pretty bad... I'm like, what the hell. Never made a noise before and I never noticed the rust.

Anyone know the part number for the hinge and if this is an easy replacement? Uggggh.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey guys, this morning I had the chance to be welcomed by the sound of a squeak when I opened the rear driver side door to throw my bag in the back. Furthermore, I look at the hinge, and it appears to be rusting pretty bad... I'm like, what the hell. Never made a noise before and I never noticed the rust.

Anyone know the part number for the hinge and if this is an easy replacement? Uggggh.

Which bit of the hinge??

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Where the bolt screws into the frame. I'll take a picture later on.

feck!!..

That means painting over the new part & realigning the door!!

I've just had my front doors off (wing end panel modification), & I only had to undo the hinge pin bolt, the stay bolt, & the electrical connector & then lift off the doors. Unfortunately you have to disconnect the battery negative whilst the ignition is switched on before you disconnect the door connector, & then after you plug the door connector back in you have to have the ignition switched on when you reconnect the battery negative!....All due to the door being on the airbag system circuit!

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
feck!!..

That means painting over the new part & realigning the door!!

I've just had my front doors off (wing end panel modification), & I only had to undo the hinge pin bolt, the stay bolt, & the electrical connector & then lift off the doors. Unfortunately you have to disconnect the battery negative whilst the ignition is switched on before you disconnect the door connector, & then after you plug the door connector back in you have to have the ignition switched on when you reconnect the battery negative!....All due to the door being on the airbag system circuit!

I'm wondering if not as bad to do the rear door?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Rear door still the same procedure......parts on this page as I linked to front doors above..

Items 2 & 7 here:-

doors; door hinge; door seal - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2016 year] (7zap.com)

Thank you. I played with the door on my lunch break and it didn't appear to make any noises. Wonder if it was just a morning thing... Not sure but I'll keep an eye on it and the rust. See if it gets dramatically worse because obviously I don't want to go through the headache of replacing it. Thanks for the info though. I'll come back here if need be for it :cool: (y)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
You know what, I may have been mistaken on the "hinge" rusting. I realize there are 2 actual hinges that are white (per matching my paint) and then the black one. The black one where the bolt goes into the frame is where it appears to have a tad rust but now I'm not overly concerned about that. Just more so the squeak which is still apparent. I'm wondering if either blasting it with WD40 or applying some white lithium grease would address it. Going to do that this weekend.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You know what, I may have been mistaken on the "hinge" rusting. I realize there are 2 actual hinges that are white (per matching my paint) and then the black one. The black one where the bolt goes into the frame is where it appears to have a tad rust but now I'm not overly concerned about that. Just more so the squeak which is still apparent. I'm wondering if either blasting it with WD40 or applying some white lithium grease would address it. Going to do that this weekend.

That's the stay catch...black plastic with a black metal plate & large single multipoint socket head bolt.......they rust internally as the unit is inside the door..this places rust on the place plastic stay...mines doing it..white lithium spray grease helps...I'll swap mine out & replace with the two position Jetta version some time...you have to remove the door speaker & door card (interior trim).....also gives you a chance to seal the door speaker properly on refit!