GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear pad selection

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Well as someone who has done something similar having a super-strong front grab will make the car unstable. Especially if you apply any angle whatsoever to the car...[adds rear bias]... If I hit the brakes right I will slow down but also rapidly slow the rear causing it to begin to slide, creating an oversteer prone environment, that I can control.
Are you saying that "unstable" means front lock up? And are you saying that "oversteer prone environment" is, in fact, more stable?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Are you saying that "unstable" means front lock up? And are you saying that "oversteer prone environment" is, in fact, more stable?
Correct!

Yea in the track world, sometimes the more traditionally "unstable" a car is the, more "control" you have over it.

When the fronts lock or it plows forward its a terminal relationship typically. very little you can do to keep your speed when the car starts to understeer, besides slow down. Oversteer gives you the option to work some magic n keep that momentum just for a lil bit longer.

I'll try and find some videos from that year and this year n make a visual. You are asking a great question and I'm willing to admit more people would like to have a visual too.

Reminds me of the F1 video of the drivers trying to explain oversteer/understeer and "apex" hilarious to watch.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'll try and find some videos from that year and this year n make a visual. You are asking a great question and I'm willing to admit more people would like to have a visual too.
I understand what you're saying it's just not that typical to see oversteer described as stable. I was never trying to say rear adding rear brake bias would be
bad.

So, not to completely jack the thread or anything, can you comment on the spring rates and bars you are using on your car? And more specifically how you got it to the point where you could get some rear end action at corner entry. Let's say lower speed, non-aero, corners.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I understand what you're saying it's just not that typical to see oversteer described as stable. I was never trying to say rear adding rear brake bias would be
bad.

So, not to completely jack the thread or anything, can you comment on the spring rates and bars you are using on your car? And more specifically how you got it to the point where you could get some rear end action at corner entry. Let's say lower speed, non-aero, corners.
Sure! Can do.

So to get things started. I first noticed it once I got better tires. Was running Hankook Ventus V12s for reference.

Power does make a bit of help in this matter too. So my car has had at least a jb4 since 8k or so.

So first setup was jb4,dp
VMR lowering springs
H&R rear swaybar 26mm big boy.

That was enough to start getting the car loose in corners for sure. Was doing auto-x back then so rotation was a must. On-ramps were always fun (not safe) to run the car harder and see what the car wanted to do if you let it. That was a big tell to with one particular long round corner overpass, that was banked. So I would approach it from different angles to see what mid/speed off throttle reactions are like. (that also plays a big role in making it happen especially at low speeds) Drop that gear and let the trans help get the vehicle rotating as well as slow down without upsetting available grip too much.

In a pinch higher rear tire psi can evoke the behavior too if need be. Especially without aero. If your driving style allows for it,you can get some serious entry speeds to certain corners.

I still say it to this day. that Big ole sway bar back there made the biggest overall change in car behavior for me. with Superpro endlinks that are still on the rear too!

Attachments

• 13508992_10154168573160891_3678081541416390088_n.jpg
    13508992_10154168573160891_3678081541416390088_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 82

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
found one!

at the 1:55 mark you can see I'm catching the rear after I purposely hit the brakes at an angle as it slides on the high speed S section and the two corners preceding it are low ones where I open the wheel up because its starting to step out a bit n I.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
This is totally correct. More aggressive rear pads helped me get rotation in dramatically, especially on super low speed hairpins. I also run virtually no rear toe and definitely zero toe up front. Toe is probably the most important rear end alignment change to get right on a per track basis. Where I like my rear end loose as a goose on medium technical tracks, a high speed kink at a different track will require a lot less looseness (unless you like sliding at 120mph).