GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear mounted bike rack

strickinato

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
@Chogokin -- That setup looks sweet. I haven't seen that Saris down where I am as much as the Kuat, the Thule, and the 1Up.

I'm curious - (same question that I asked above):

> When you have no bikes on, and the rack is in the folded up position, are you able to fully open the trunk? Or do you have to pull the rack down in order to open the trunk all the way?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
@strickinato

My particular model does not fold up so it does clear the hatch with no issues. The newer EX 2 model does...and you can open the hatch with it folded up. If you want to open the hatch with the bikes on the rack...the rack can tilt back so you can open the hatch. Also the one bike setup on the 1up will also clear the Mk7 hatch. It sits well below the bumper line...but it does cover up the rear plate.

Initially I was going to drop the lute and buy the 1up...but I came across the Saris on Craigslist for $200...so I went with that. Its been nearly fours years with the rack...and so far...it hasn't given me any problems.

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Agree with you on that. I’ve had both style racks and love our Thule. I can fit a road bike to a fat bike on it. But yea, it’s heavy.

Yeah man...that's why I got rid of the Thule. I'm a skinny dude with some wet noodle arms. I take my rack off when its not in use. I feel like I'm going to get a hernia each time I pick it up. It also pretty big and takes up more room on the garage floor than the Saris.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
You all running tow mirrors to peek around those massive bikes?!!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
No...don't need one. I can see just fine. It more of an optical illusion more than anything else.

Here is the same rack with a bike that's slightly longer than the Evil on my A3. Doesn't look all that wide from this angle.

IMG_2957.JPG

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I have a Rad Power e-bike and it weighs a ton. I guess I need to get a 2" hitch that can carry 150lbs. This would be the weight of the bike and the bike carrier!

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have a Rad Power e-bike and it weighs a ton. I guess I need to get a 2" hitch that can carry 150lbs. This would be the weight of the bike and the bike carrier!

You'll probably have to go with the 2" hitch. The 1 1/4 class one hitch has a tongue weight of 200lbs. If your e bike is 150lbs and depending on whose rack (you'll need a burly one) you get...you'll be close to the limit of the hitch.

Lol...I won't even be able to lift your bike.