GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear hatch water leak!

goonie284

Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Driving to work a couple days ago and I heard a sloshing noise in the rear of the Golf when turning sharply.... uh oh. I opened the rear hatch to investigate expecting there to be water in the tire well but as I lifted the rear hatch I heard the water slosh in the hatch and begin to cascade through the now open hatch and start to pour out through the top trim panels! Kind of like turning a bucket upside down, it was now pouring down through the hatch as I had just inverted it by opening it.

Luckily most of the water drained out around the frame area and not onto the carpet. After I closed the hatch I was able to observe where it was draining after pooling up under the top trim panels:

After getting off work I popped open the panels on interior of the hatch and found the issue. The previous owner said some repair work was done on the hatch and it looks like when the shop re-assembled it they forgot to re-connect the drain line for the rear camera/hatch latch area. :(

4.PNG

1.jpg

here you can see that drain port from the outside:

3.jpg

Seems like most people have an issue with the bottom plug eroding or getting dry-rot. I'm lucky the previous owner treated this car as a garage queen so it didn't spend much time if any out in the rain!

I'm happy to report no electronics were damaged and there's no trace of mildew, mold, or pond scum 😄

Last edited: