GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rear fog light indicator

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone had any dealing with this? The green one in the instrument cluster. Havent noticed it working for a while now but to be fair how often do we have fog lights on.
The rear fog is actually working though, so its just the indicator. I did notice that the other fog light isnt working, so my initial thought they were in series so with the green one lighting in the cluster, told you that a buld had blown. However upon removing the left hand ( nearside ) boot light assembly i discovered its only a dummy holder, so i assume its for other models where they just add that extra metal clip to make it work.
2016 plate.
The white fog light indicator works, and yesterday when i was testing it, by which turning it off and on ie pulling it out once / twice, on one attempt it did light.
So my question is, are they led's or is it a bulb in the cluster, would be a pain to have to take it all out to replace / check it. Or could it be the switch, even though it actually does the operation of the turning the actual rear fog light on and off.
Its not theres a little fuse somewhere JUST for that indicator is there.
Is there a test i can do to illuminate all the lights in the cluster for example? perhaps that would prove if the bulb / led is faulty, even though its 4 years its not like its had a lot of use.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
anyone had any dealing with this? The green one in the instrument cluster. Havent noticed it working for a while now but to be fair how often do we have fog lights on.
The rear fog is actually working though, so its just the indicator. I did notice that the other fog light isnt working, so my initial thought they were in series so with the green one lighting in the cluster, told you that a buld had blown. However upon removing the left hand ( nearside ) boot light assembly i discovered its only a dummy holder, so i assume its for other models where they just add that extra metal clip to make it work.
2016 plate.
The white fog light indicator works, and yesterday when i was testing it, by which turning it off and on ie pulling it out once / twice, on one attempt it did light.
So my question is, are they led's or is it a bulb in the cluster, would be a pain to have to take it all out to replace / check it. Or could it be the switch, even though it actually does the operation of the turning the actual rear fog light on and off.
Its not theres a little fuse somewhere JUST for that indicator is there.
Is there a test i can do to illuminate all the lights in the cluster for example? perhaps that would prove if the bulb / led is faulty, even though its 4 years its not like its had a lot of use.
There's only ever one rear fog light, and it's on the right hand side for a RHD car.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
There's only ever one rear fog light, and it's on the right hand side for a RHD car.
yes indeed there is only one. so my theory of that blowing and hence knocking out the green indicator is out the window, so i am down to the switch being faulty but if that was the case then i assume that fog light wouldnt work. Hence i dunno if its a blown led or lamp or something gone screwy

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
yes indeed there is only one. so my theory of that blowing and hence knocking out the green indicator is out the window, so i am down to the switch being faulty but if that was the case then i assume that fog light wouldnt work. Hence i dunno if its a blown led or lamp or something gone screwy
Not sure which green indicator you're referring to?

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
2020-12-30 21_32_18-How to turn on Fog Lights on VW - YouTube – Mozilla Firefox.png

but on mine they are green and amber not white and amber well was before the green one on the first pull didnt work and the reason for this thread

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Pretty sure mine does?
shows a green lamp in the rev counter like in the picture videoman posted only his pic is white.

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
i stand corrected, the green light is for the front fogs, i mistakenly thought is was the rear , as in first pull, 2nd pull is for rear and that orange indicator does light up, however 2 days ago the green one has stopped working. Dunno what golfs you are driving, mine is mk7 match edition, but afaik all that means is it has satnav in it
Its not like you use either fogs very often, but rather than taking out the cluster, i was wondering if anyone else knew, had the fault before, the fact you havent seen it doesnt mean i haven't. I can promise you its on my golf 2016 plate car, well was until 2 days ago lol. but i dunno if its a bulb or a led. I am thinking if i ran some vcds i could perhaps run an instrument cluster light test on it to double check. I have taken out the light switch this morning, hoping that perhaps that might help me, maybe spray some contact spray in it, but they are pretty much clipped up, so all of a sudden thats ot a simple as i thought, but to me logically if the switch works and the front fogs work the indicator should

Last edited:

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure mine does?
shows a green lamp in the rev counter like in the picture videoman posted only his pic is white.
thats not my pic btw, it was from google, i cant take a photo of my dead one :) although i wonder if i can see a silouhette of it inside the cluster hmmm

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
i stand corrected, the green light is for the front fogs, i mistakenly thought is was the rear , as in first pull, 2nd pull is for rear and that orange indicator does light up, however 2 days ago the green one has stopped working. Dunno what golfs you are driving, mine is mk7 match edition, but afaik all that means is it has satnav in it
Its not like you use either fogs very often, but rather than taking out the cluster, i was wondering if anyone else knew, had the fault before, the fact you havent seen it doesnt mean i haven't. I can promise you its on my golf 2016 plate car, well was until 2 days ago lol. but i dunno if its a bulb or a led. I am thinking if i ran some vcds i could perhaps run an instrument cluster light test on it to double check. I have taken out the light switch this morning, hoping that perhaps that might help me, maybe spary some contact spray in it, but they are pretty much clipped up, so all of a sudden thats ot a simple as i thought, but to me logically if the switch works and the front fogs work the indicator should
There is an output test in VCDS for checking all of the lights, yes.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Its not like you use either fogs very often, but rather than taking out the cluster, i was wondering if anyone else knew, had the fault before, the fact you havent seen it doesnt mean i haven't. I can promise you its on my golf 2016 plate car, well was until 2 days ago lol. but i dunno if its a bulb or a led. I am thinking if i ran some vcds i could perhaps run an instrument cluster light test on it to double check. I have taken out the light switch this morning, hoping that perhaps that might help me, maybe spray some contact spray in it, but they are pretty much clipped up, so all of a sudden thats ot a simple as i thought, but to me logically if the switch works and the front fogs work the indicator should
I really started to doubt myself over this front fog light indicator, so I've just been out into the ice block that I call my car to check the function.

The green indicator only shows on the light switch itself, but not on the dash (please excuse the dust). The same occurred on my original cluster before swapping to AID.

1609422690126.png

1609422722284.png

videoman

Passed Driver's Ed
I really started to doubt myself over this front fog light indicator, so I've just been out into the ice block that I call my car to check the function.

The green indicator only shows on the light switch itself, but not on the dash (please excuse the dust). The same occurred on my original cluster before swapping to AID.

View attachment 198061
View attachment 198063
not being funny here, but why would i say its not working if it never did? I worked not 3 days ago now, infact always worked. As commented by other people in this thread. All i wanted was some way to prove its dead, or a wiring issue, or where i could start to fault hunt, other than actually taking out the instrument cluster, which isnt a huge job, but its ruddy FREEZING outside lol not really here to argue about it. At the end of the day how often do we have them on. Did yours light the appropriate front fog light, come on when you turn corners too as mine does?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
not being funny here, but why would i say its not working if it never did? I worked not 3 days ago now, infact always worked. As commented by other people in this thread. All i wanted was some way to prove its dead, or a wiring issue, or where i could start to fault hunt, other than actually taking out the instrument cluster, which isnt a huge job, but its ruddy FREEZING outside lol not really here to argue about it. At the end of the day how often do we have them on. Did yours light the appropriate front fog light, come on when you turn corners too as mine does?

Mandela effect? Who knows...

Just run the output test in VCDS. If it doesn't light up, replace your cluster.

Yes, I have static cornering lights using the fogs.